• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Tax deduction for backpay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax deduction for backpay

My employer omitted to pay increments to my salary for 18 months until I discovered this. Had they paid the increments each month I would still be a basic rate tax payer.
    Once I discovered their error I have had the lump sum equivalent paid to me but this then puts me into the 40% tax banding and an enormous tax deduction.

I know the tax office are powerless but do I have any redress with my employer as it was their error?
    Tags: None

Re: Tax deduction for backpay

Excuse me asking? did you did not notice the underpayment?

Comment

Is this just an enormous sum deducted in just one pay slip? If it is then it will most likely correct itself over the remainder of this tax year.

If it was a deduction on a month/week 1 basis then it will need the intervention of the tax office to get you a refund at the end of the tax year.

Comment

No, I didn't notice the underpayment! Sounds bonkers I know but it was £150 a month.

Comment

My HR people have said the same as ostell - this is the first month of the new fiscal year and effectively my monthly pay plus this backpayment makes it appear that my annual salary is 75K (I wish). Next month, and on subsequent months, I will receive the tax back as the cumulative total works out I'm not a 40% tax payer.

Comment

As long as you are not being taxed on a month1 basis ( look at your tax code) you might even get a rebate next month! The tax tables work on a cumulative basis.

Comment

I am assuming that your pay was your April pay , month 1 of the PAYG tax year . That is why you will have appeared to have paid a lot more tax, over the rest of the year this will even itself out. As Ostell has pointed out the tax codes work on a cumulative basis
              If you tax code let you earn 12000 a year before tax, after month 1 you would have been allowed to earn 1000 , month 2 £2000 and so on. If you then earn 2000 in month one you would have a big tax bill but if you earn 0 in month 2 you would get a rebate

Tax seems complicated but isn't really as long as you think of it as a year long process

Comment

I'd like to thank you all very much for your help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X