• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Agency Holiday Pay.. been ripped off?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agency Holiday Pay.. been ripped off?

Hi All, please bear with me as i'm new to the forums.

outline;
    i'm currently employed with an agency as a "temp". my hours of work vary in the sense that i start a 6am, and could finish anytime between 2pm and 6pm - depending on the days workload, i also often work Saturdays and Sundays.
    in total of starting employment with them around 2 1/2 months ago i have worked 508 hours total

i'm currently in disagreement with the agency over my accrued holiday. they have me down for 6 days
    i have work it out to be more like 8 days, I've taken my calculation from;

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/calculati...ay-entitlement

as i understand it the agency are working it out on the standard system, while i believe it should be on the casual or irregular working patterns system, especially as i get an email each week detailing my assignment and they call this as a day-by-day assignment

email example:

"This email is sent to you to confirm the details of your assignment :
    Start Date 16/11/2015
    This is a day by day assignment at XXXXXX"

my question is really who is right, the agency or me as they wont seem to budge on the matter, and how could i take it further if i am in the right?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Danny

Last edited by dannyb13; 9th February 2016, 17:59:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Agency Holiday Pay.. been ripped off?

Assuming that you work 5, or more, days a week and that your contract only provides the statutory minimum paid holiday entitlement......6 days is right.

Comment

Hi mariefab,

thanks for the reply, so when would/should the casual or irregular working patterns system be applied, i.e. to what type of worker?

Thanks.

Danny

Comment

Examples would be; someone with no set contractual hours who works as and when required to cover busy days, or provides relief cover when employees are on holiday or off sick. So called 'zero- hour' contracts.

Comment

To get 8 days- did you do something like this?
          Total hours worked X .1207 / average hours worked per day = 8

Comment

hi again mariefab,

yes i used a standard 7.5 hour day 6am to 2pm deducting half hour dinner.

Comment

on the face of it it almost is a zero hour contract, people often get sent home when there isn't enough work, staffing reduced when there is no work, extra brought in when the work load requires.

Thanks

Danny

Comment

Let's assume that you are entitled to the statutory minimum holiday entitlement of 5.6 weeks.
                If you work 5, or more, days per week your total annual entitlement would be 28 days.
                You've worked there for 2.5 months.
                Therefore, 28days / 12months X 2.5months = 5.83days (rounded up to 6 days).

Your mistake was to use 7.5 as the number of hours/day.
                You've worked a total of 508 hours in 9 weeks. So, 508 / 9 = 56.44 hours per week.
                Deduct 1/2 an hour a day for an unpaid break. 56.44 - 2.5 = 53.94.
                Divide by 5 days per week = 10.78 hours per day.
                Repeat your calculation, 508 X .1207 / 10.78 = 5.69 days (rounded up to 6 days).

Comment

Thanks mariefab, So on that formula I would be entitled to 6 days holiday (each day paid at 10.75 hours)?

Thanks
                  Danny

Comment

Yes, but you would only get 10.75 hours/ day if you were taking the holiday in the next 6 days, or if you had left after the 2.5 months.
                    Otherwise the amount that would be paid per week/day would be based on an average of the last 12 working weeks.

Comment

Thanks
                      that just about sums it up, they are trying to pay me 6 days @ 7.5 hours per day, which is defiantly not correct.
                      i'm just waiting on a copy of my contract of employment to see how they "word" the holiday terms.

Danny

Comment

They could only pay you 7.5 hours a day if you usually worked 35 hours a week.
                        When you get the copy post the terms here and we can provide the relevant legislation and/or case law to help you with your dispute.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, that should say 37.5 hours a week.

Comment

I will indeed mariefab,

Thanks Very Much.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X