• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Withdrawal of job offer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Withdrawal of job offer

[MENTION=77627]Openlaw15[/MENTION]

Yes, I suggested the Union might not want to get involved because the OP has now left their previous employer, and the Union might not be able to collect the OP's membership fee through the employer's payroll system, which is how it typically works. If the new employer recognised the same Union, the OP might have been able to simply transfer to the new branch. If the new employer doesn't recognise the same Union, the OP might have to give up his/her membership completely. I say 'might' because it depends on the Union and whether membership depends on your working in a specific sector/industry/occupation.

As regards suing the Union, what you said was: '...they will take your claim on your will counter sue the Union for breach of its duty to you.' I realise there are some grammatical issues there but the OP certainly took that as your suggesting they might sue the Union, as is evidenced by the OP's reply.

- Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by enaid View Post
    Think that's about the most sensible thing said on here so far, why not start your own debate thread maybe in here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-Have-your-Say then when you have reached a right or wrong you will be able to actually help the OP.
    Perhaps if the people 'moderating' this forum knew and understood the practicalities of employment law they would be able to see who is actually helping the OP.

Frankly I'd have had enough of idiots being allowed onto this forum to give their amateur advice. I've requested my account be deleted previously, perhaps now you'll be forced to do it.

- Mat
    Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

All I was looking for was reasonable and practical advice as to whether my case had merit - after the Union rep said it didn't I wondered if I was being unreasonable (in spite of the spoilt Christmas and stress of being unemployed!).

Matt has concurred that my case has a reasonable chance - although whether I have the b4lls to take it through to court, I am not yet sure. Openlaw15's view seemed (in some respects) to go further than mine, and I took the message on that he was suggesting taking on the union as well for their poor advice. Personally I thought that taking things a little too far - I think in many of these cases, it's not open and shut and the gavel could ultimately fall either way, and the union rep just expressed his opinion (I suppose in light of just securing me an "above contractual entitlement" from my previous employer) that I hadn't suffered any loss (ie I had the money from my previous employer to fall back on).

The advice, whilst am sure has all been well meaning, was gratefully received all round, but I did find Matt's advice to be pretty down to earth - but that's maybe only because he agreed with my point of view, rather than because it was less than I could actually achieve by "stoking things up", or by taking the original advice of dropping it and putting it down to experience.

At the end of day guys, don't fall out over me and get yourselves kicked off as I am sure you're all only trying to help in any way you can.

Regards.
      Rammy68

- - - Updated - - -

PS - I pay the union subs outside of work and it was a tremendous benefit at the end of my last employment - there was a possibility of bad blood being spilt and bridges getting burned, but having someone negotiating on my behalf meant I got the deal I wanted without the personal stuff getting in the way :-)

Comment

Long as you are happy with the advice you have been given by whoever and are satisfied it is right for you then all is ok

Comment

Just a quick update on this one - I have agreed a settlement with the firm and am awaiting a cheque..... fingers crossed still :-)

Thanks all for the advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X