• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

My boss hasn't paid me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boss hasn't paid me!

I'm 17 years old and decided to start a new job so I started work at a local Costa in the centre of town in Hertford on 13th of July 2015. Before I had an interview with the manager and I confirmed with him my rate of pay was £6.50 an hour and that every single shift I worked including training shifts are all paid. I have NOT been given a contract as of yet. So up to this day I've been working lots of shifts all as asked. But after my first month I received no pay for all my work and when i asked my boss he said it was because I was not on the system and that I would receive the pay on the next payday. So at 10:52AM (31st September) this morning my boss rung me asking for payment details and telling me the area manager needs to confirm my hours then I'll get paid for all my work. However he then informed me I was on £5.30 an hour even though the whole 2 months I worked there many, many times I was told I was in £6.50 an hour and now he's told me my pay has been lowered? I really don't know what to do or who to go to as I've never had this problem before with any previous employers? Please help! Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Jack.
    Tags: None

Re: My boss hasn't paid me!

ok how old are you
    National Minimum Wage rates

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

2015 (from 1 October) £6.70 £5.30 £3.87 £3.30
    2014 (current rate) £6.50 £5.13 £3.79 £2.73
    Contracts for payments below the minimum wage are not legally binding. The worker is still entitled to the minimum wage.
    Workers are also entitled to the minimum wage if they’re:
    • part-time
    • casual labourers, eg someone hired for one day
    • agency workers
    • workers and homeworkers paid by the number of items they make
    • apprentices
    • trainees, workers on probation
    • disabled workers
    • agricultural workers
    • foreign workers
    • seafarers
    • offshore workers

4. Worker disputes over minimum wage

Workers who think their pay is below the minimum wage rate should talk to their employer first.
    If this doesn’t solve the problem, they can ask the employer in writing to see their payment records. The worker can take someone with them and make copies of the records.
    If an employer owes the worker any arrears they have to pay these back.
    Workers can also call the confidential Acas helpline or look at the Acas Helpline Online to help them solve a payment dispute.
    - - - Updated - - -

ok how old are you

Contracts for payments below the minimum wage are not legally binding.
    The worker is still entitled to the minimum wage.
    Workers are also entitled to the minimum wage if they’re:
    • part-time
    • casual labourers, eg someone hired for one day
    • agency workers
    • workers and homeworkers paid by the number of items they make
    • apprentices
    • trainees, workers on probation
    • disabled workers
    • agricultural workers
    • foreign workers
    • seafarers
    • offshore workers

4. Worker disputes over minimum wage

Workers who think their pay is below the minimum wage rate should talk to their employer first.
    If this doesn’t solve the problem, they can ask the employer in writing to see their payment records. The worker can take someone with them and make copies of the records.
    If an employer owes the worker any arrears they have to pay these back.
    Workers can also call the confidential Acas helpline or look at the Acas Helpline Online to help them solve a payment dispute.

Don't let them grind you down

Comment

How many hours were you doing a week as there are limits to employees under 18 years of age

Comment

Hi and welcome.

Did you ever receive confirmation in writing that you were to be paid £6.50 per hour?

Your problem is that if you kick up too much of a fuss over the £1.20 per hour reduction you won't have a job at all.
        As you've only been there two months you have no protection if they "let you go".
        If you are only using the job as a stop gap the position is different, if you have proof.

Comment

Originally posted by vanman View Post
          ok how old are you
          He started the thread saying he was 17:

Originally posted by Jack Hilliard-Tomaciello View Post
          I'm 17 years old and decided to start a new job so I started work at a local Costa in the centre of town in Hertford on 13th of July 2015.
          Originally posted by vanman View Post

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Hi and welcome.

Did you ever receive confirmation in writing that you were to be paid £6.50 per hour?

Your problem is that if you kick up too much of a fuss over the £1.20 per hour reduction you won't have a job at all.
          As you've only been there two months you have no protection if they "let you go".
          If you are only using the job as a stop gap the position is different, if you have proof.
          In view of the above, I suspect, and this is just my theory, that they may either not have been aware of how old the OP was, or of how little they have to pay young people. They may have quoted £6.50 as a matter of course, being the national minimum wage, that's probably what they pay most employees. £5.30 is the new rater for 18-20 year olds from October. I just find it too much of a coincidence that they should be quoting that exact figure and not, say, £5.50, which makes me wonder whether it's because the just don't want to pay more than the law requires them to. :confused2: If that's the case, my concern is that, if the OP kicks a fuss as you say, they may well end up offering him just £3.87 because he is under 18, unless he is about to turn 18!

Originally posted by Jack Hilliard-Tomaciello View Post
          Before I had an interview with the manager andI confirmed with him my rate of pay was £6.50 an hour and that every single shift I worked including training shifts are all paid. I have NOT been given a contract as of yet. So up to this day I've been working lots of shifts all as asked. But after my first month I received no pay for all my work and when i asked my boss he said it was because I was not on the system and that I would receive the pay on the next payday. So at 10:52AM (31st September) this morning my boss rung me asking for payment details and telling me the area manager needs to confirm my hours then I'll get paid for all my work. However he then informed me I was on £5.30 an hour even though the whole 2 months I worked there many, many times I was told I was in £6.50 an hour and now he's told me my pay has been lowered? I really don't know what to do or who to go to as I've never had this problem before with any previous employers? Please help! Thanks in advance.
          Regards,
          Jack.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X