• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Relocation whilst suffering disability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocation whilst suffering disability

My wife has several disabilities, mainly an inability to walk for a long distance (more than 10 minutes or so), along with severe back and neck problems. These are under constant review with medical staff, as she attends check-ups / reviews on around 12-15 times per annum.

My wife is a hard worker and would never like to leave employment, preferring to stay active and battle her illnesses.

My wife works in retail for a major UK retail store. She has worked there since 1997 and been employed in the same store for her whole career, other than for 1 year back in 2002, when she was seconded to another store for training for her promotion.

She is able to cope well with her current location of employment, as I take her to work and pick her up at the end of the day. During the day, she uses all her energy delivering what her employer expects, and loves her job. She has had to advise her current manager that there is a limit as to what she can achieve with her mobility, but nevertheless, at her most recent review she was graded a 'high-achiever'.

Today, her employer has decided to inform her that she ('without negotiation') will have to move to a store which would entail catching a train and then a walk of 15-20 minutes from the train station to her new place of employment. She cannot achieve this, due to her disabilities, which we hope her doctors would be happy to confirm in writing. She cannot drive, and does not hold a driving licence. Sitting for long periods on the train would be challenging and standing when the train is at capacity would be near impossible.

Also, her medical check-ups and twice yearly pain management spinal and foot injections would have to continue, and attending these NHS appointments would not be possible from her new place of employment.

We're looking for help on her rights, as she would like to stay working in her current location. There is no justification in the move, other than the employer likes to move staff occasionally for logistic reasons.

Any help would be more than welcome.
    Tags: None

Re: Relocation whilst suffering disability

Is her employer fully aware of her condition and limitations?

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
      Is her employer fully aware of her condition and limitations?
      Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, her employer (line manager) has been fully aware of her condition for some time. Only this week, she met with her line manager and provided him with a list of medicines and ongoing treatment.

Ultimately, a new manager has started only a few weeks ago, who does not know the full extent of her condition and is making these changes.

Comment

The new manager needs to be fully aware of the ongoing condition. Best to do this before looking at other plans.

Others on the forum are conversant with employment laws.

Best initial way is to ensure that new management have all information before going down redress / legal routes.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. We've prepared a letter asking for a meeting, following the grievance policy, so that at least my wife gets the opportunity to be heard by the new manager

Comment

Well i wouldn't have gone down the grievance route, a less formal method would have been sufficient i.e. informal chat with the new manager outlining your OH situation and limitations to her mobility that would prevent her from working at the other store i.e. as she wouldn't be able to get there!

Though i do have a question, what does her contract state regarding requesting her to work at other stores?
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X