• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Q re employment contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q re employment contract

My employer wants me to sign a new contract of employment, but it contains references to a separate document which is not attached and I am not allowed to read. As I am unable to read the document I believe it is unfair/unlawful. How can I agree to terms to which I do not know? My employer is now applying pressure to me to sign the contract & constantly refuses to let me read the referenced OCPA document.

Is there anything I can say specifically to my employer quoting legal precedence?

The contract basically says I agree to terms of XXXXXX the OCPA. I really have absolutely no idea this document says
    Tags: None

Re: Q re employment contract

This could be in reference to Occupational Pension Arrangement (s).
    If your boss wont let you read is insist on an explanation.

nem

Comment

No its the offshore contractors partnership agreement

Comment

Originally posted by licinius View Post
        No its the offshore contractors partnership agreement
        Ok could be anything from confidentiality, pay/condition employment term.
        As far as I can see it could be any number of matters.
        Sorry not to have been much help.

I would ask for an explanation of the sections you are agreeing to.

nem

Comment

Surely if your contract directly references this document, it has to be attached to the contract for me to read?

Comment

Of course it does.
            The over-riding question is "why would you want to change your contract?"
            If your boss wants you to change, you need to have the choice to accept or decline.
            As you can't see what he's offering, your current choice is to stay as you are.

Comment

Thanks Sean

Is there anything specifically legal I can quote to them?

Comment

Yes.
                Your current contract of employment is a formal, legal, binding contract.
                You are under no obligation to accept any alteration.
                If they are asking you to accept changes, you need to know precisely what those changes are.
                You also need to know precisely what they are offering, should you decide to refuse the new terms.

Comment

Originally posted by licinius View Post
                  Thanks Sean

Is there anything specifically legal I can quote to them?
                  See section 6 of the employment rights act 1996 below:

Reasonably accessible document or collective agreement.

In sections 2 to 4 references to a document or collective agreement which is reasonably accessible to an employee are references to a document or collective agreement which—

(a)the employee has reasonable opportunities of reading in the course of his employment, or

(b)is made reasonably accessible to the employee in some other way.

You can view the full act here - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/contents

So yes you do have a right to read documents that your contract relates to, especially if such documents form or effect the terms and conditions to the contract your being asked to sign.

Not only that but basic contract law requires that both parties be in position to negotiate the terms of a contract, this means both parties having full knowledge of the terms and being able to read/view any documents to which any terms relate to. Where a party is not allowed to view documents referred to in terms of the contract, then that term is likely to be deemed invalid by a court of law, and in some cases render the entire contract invalid and non binding.

But before quoting the law to your employer, do as what others have suggested and ask him for an explanation. Then come back here and tell us what the explanation was and we can help you from there, in regards as to what to state in your letter declining the terms and conditions of your contract of employment.

You are an employee and not a contractor aren't you?
                  Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks Teaboy, that's exactly what I was looking for

Comment

I now have the requested document, along with a huffy email lol

Comment

Good.
                        I sometimes wonder how employers keep decent staff.

Comment

Has there been any news since you requested the documents?
                          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X