• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy pay

Hello everyone
    I hope you can help me with my problem my firm is doing away with my job due to restructuring and is going to issue redundancy notices. the important facts are that they have a contractual redundancy scheme and inform me that as I am over 60 I will only be entitled to statutory redundancy while other people in the office are getting 5 weeks pay for each years employment their justification for this is that I am closer to the pension than a younger worker. my question is, is this legal or can it be classed as age discrimination. thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this matter.
    Tags: None

Re: Redundancy pay

How long have you worked for the company?

Do you have access to the employment terms & conditions which describes the contractual redundancy terms?
    They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Originally posted by basa48 View Post
      How long have you worked for the company?

Do you have access to the employment terms & conditions which describes the contractual redundancy terms?

I have worked for the company 27 years I do not have a copy of the terms but could probably get them

Comment

You must obtain a copy of the T & Cs to determine what is the standard policy on redundancy.

If your company has such a contractual policy that enhances statutory redundancy pay then I would say (unless specifically stated in the policy to the contrary) that they cannot exclude you from that policy of enhanced redundancy pay because of your age (i.e. close to pensionable age).

Clearly the companies own policy is just that, a contractual agreement between employees and the company. It is separate and unaffected by Employment Law and is applied separately to any provisions of law.
        They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think employment law provides any direct remedy in this situation.

Age is a protected characteristic in the Equality Act 2010 but it is a qualified protection in that discrimination is unlawful "unless it is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim" - whether they could meet that test I am afraid I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
            Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think employment law provides any direct remedy in this situation.

Age is a protected characteristic in the Equality Act 2010 but it is a qualified protection in that discrimination is unlawful "unless it is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim" - whether they could meet that test I am afraid I don't know.

thank you to both of you for your reply's. unfortunately they do have this clause in their redundancy scheme that once an employee gets over age 60 years he/she is not entitled to redundancy pay . their stated reason is because we can claim a pension at that time. but some of the guys have only been with the company 8 or 9 years one has only been in employment 5 years and thus any pension they get will be less than £200 per month and a 6 year gap before they can claim an old age pension. the company claims that the aim is to prevent anyone over age 60 from getting a wind fall. yes you did read it right. as this agreement was introduced before 2010 it would be my contention that it does contravene UK equality law and is not a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim. what do you think.

shoehorn

Comment

I've found an Employment Appeal Tribunal case which seems to be exactly on point with yours, it is Smith v Ministry of Justice (2014). The MoJ made different arrangements for redundancy for those over 60 as they could claim their pensions at that age.

The ET found that age was a material difference between the two groups but the EAT reversed that decision finding that as it was a protected characteristic, it could not be used to distinguish the two groups.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                I've found an Employment Appeal Tribunal case which seems to be exactly on point with yours, it is Smith v Ministry of Justice (2014). The MoJ made different arrangements for redundancy for those over 60 as they could claim their pensions at that age.

The ET found that age was a material difference between the two groups but the EAT reversed that decision finding that as it was a protected characteristic, it could not be used to distinguish the two groups.
                thanks could you provide me the link

Comment

when I put in my search I got hundreds of hits but I have found the one you refer to and I agree it is right on the mark thanks again for the help
                  shoehorn

Comment

This should work, I think.

http://www.employmentappeals.gov.uk

If you go to that link and search for the case, party 1 is Smith and party 2 Ministry of Justice, you should be able to download a pdf of the full transcript.

I don't know why but I can't link to the full case.

I might have managed to attach it, though - never done that before - in which case, ignore everything above.
                    Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X