• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

help please - investigation/ suspended and pending disciplinary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please - investigation/ suspended and pending disciplinary

Hi i hope i can get some great advice.
    I work in food and i am a field sales exec.

Recieved email on saturday ( after being off on annual leave for 2 weeks ) asking me to go into head office for a meeting.
    when i got there i called my line manager ( who sent email ) to be told I need to meet with the regional manager.
    I called this person and was told they there in 10 mins. When this person arrived there was also a member of the HR team.
    I was took into an room and was told there has been a complaint/allegation from a customer about me and product i sold.
    The allegation is that i sold a certain 3 products and a few weeks later she wanted to return them as she didnt want them. I said this is not possible as when i checked within the first week of purchase she was happy. this has gone on for a couple of months and each time i said no.
    since i have been off she has contacted our office and made the allegation that i had collected the 3 products from her and was going to sell elsewhere and give her the money. this is not true !
    she has made a statement to a manager in the office and also my line manager went to visit her last week and get a statement .
    this has come as a big shock to me as i was not expecting this.
    I was handed the statement she made to office manager, statement that was made to line manager and also a copy of a few text messages is sent her.
    I was asked 3 times had i collected these products and also do i know where they are , i said i had not collect them and dont know where they are.
    I also said this customer is always complaining and being a pain .
    The meeting was adjourned for 5 minutes and then when i came back in i was asked again where these products were and why i not talked to my manager about this issue. i said it was irrelevant and if i spoke to manager every time a customer kicks off i would always be on the phone.
    I was then sent out the room again for 15 minutes, when came back in i was asked if i could get work pc from car. when i came back i was told that i was being suspended and need to hand back my work pc and phone.
    i had to sign a letter for this and also sign the notes that was written
    This is a serious allegation but untrue .
    Please what do i do ?
    I have a final interview for another company at end of the month and would really like this job .
    do i resign with immediatte effect ?
    I have worked for the company for 3 years.
    Tags: None

Re: help please - investigation/ suspended and pending disciplinary

Prior to the meeting you should have been given the opportunity to be accompanied in the meeting, they should also have informed you what the meeting was about beforehand. There are certain procedures they need to follow, read the information at ACAS http://www.acas.org.uk/discipline
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

HI
      Thanks for your reply.
      Does this still count even though it was just an investigation meeting and not at disciplinary meeting ?

Comment

Hi,
        Do not resign...........
        Your company are not following any recognised procedures.
        Firstly, your company should have made you fully aware of the allegations and your right to be accompanied, to any meeting that could result in a disciplinary action.
        What notes were written? Did you get a copy of these notes?
        If you are suspended, make sure you are on full pay.
        Have you got copies of the company's Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures? If not make sure you ask for them.
        Whatever you do, do not resign as this is an easy let out for the company.
        Unless they have proof of any wrongdoings, then it is just the woman's word against yours.
        Hold out as long as you can before giving in your notice.
        If you need any further advice, then post it here....
        Below is the ACAS code of practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures, which companies are expected to follow.
        Although there is no legal requirement for them to do this, if the case goes to tribunal and they lose. Then any compensation awarded to an employee is increased by up to 25%.
        JB
        Attached Files
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Hi JB and thank you

So they should have told me what the meeting was about ?
          like i said i received the email on saturday after being on AL for 2 weeks, saying go to" head office for a meeting at 11am "
          when i got there i rang my line manager who then informed me it was his manager that wanted to see me. I asked what it was about and he said " no idea " . howver during the course of the meeting i found out that my line manager had been to see this customer and also had a written statement, so he did know. I also think he was accompanied by another sales rep. ( same level as me ).
          The notes that were written were notes of this meeting. I am waiting for a copy of these.
          They did say they are " suspending me on full pay while they make further investigations and I should hear back from them by Friday ) they also said I am not on a disciplinary now but the results could go disciplinary .
          Yes i have notes of the company disciplinary procedures.
          I have never had anything like this happen before and alot of current and previous customers have always sang my praises.
          I am really worried about this .
          Is there anything else i need to know ?

Thanks

Comment

Hi,
            Make sure you take a witness with you to any meeting.
            This can be a work colleague or Union Shop steward.
            Take a pen and paper and make sure that what occurs is written down by your witness.
            If you are not sure about anything, then stop the meeting and ask for clarification.
            Don't admit to anything, just deny everything.
            If you are asked an awkward question, just say you can't remember, or you prefer not to answer at this time.
            As I see it, without any evidence, other than a statement from the woman, they have nothing they could discipline you for.
            It is her word against yours, and you should point that out to whoever is holding the meeting, and make sure you log it.
            Just keep saying that the woman is obviously upset, and very much mistaken, and has obviously got her facts mixed up, probably because you wouldn't exchange the goods for her.
            Under no circumstances resign. Let the company provide proof.
            Mention your three years unblemished record with the company, and how would you risk that?
            Let me know what happens on Friday.
            It may be that if the company invoke a disciplinary, then you will need to appeal the decision.
            But it may not come to this.
            Go to your interview, but mention nothing about this incident.
            Good luck mate....
            JB
            “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X