• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unauthorised absence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unauthorised absence

Hi I'm just worrying about this issue. I left work halfway through a nightshift I had very little sleep that week and a horrible tension headache. I told the supervisor and left work. I was off the following nightshift but I didn't ring in to tell them.

yesterday I got a letter asking me to contact HR and explain why I was absent and didn't call in. We have a disciplinary procedure for absence and I am on a clean slate for that and only had a few absences in the last 18 month. I have been at the company for 6 years.

wondered if I should be worried about this and am I overreacting thinking I am going to get sacked just for failing to ring in 1 shift.

Any comments appreciated thanks
    Last edited by Stereosun25; 14th September 2014, 09:58:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Unauthorised absence

Hi,
    It is very doubtful if you would get dismissed for this.
    You may face a disciplinary for failing to notify the company, but it's not exactly gross misconduct.
    Just tell HR you was under a lot of pressure because of personal issues.
    That way you don't have to explain in detail.
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Cheers for that John. Like I say never even had so much as a warning for it in the past and not gross misconduct like you say. Just wanted to check I was worrying too much ha

Comment

Just make sure you get a copy of the company's Disciplinary and Grievance procedures.
        Also make sure you point out that you did tell the supervisor you was feeling unwell.
        So in effect, all you are guilty of is failing to notify them you wouldn't be in to work for 1 night.
        As I stated, hardly 'Gross Misconduct'.
        Let me know how you get on.
        :tinysmile_twink_t2:
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Got a company handbook but mentions nothing about not ringing in. Yeah I did tell them so they did know why I wasn't in and was only for 1 night so not like I didn't turn in for a whole week with no idea where I was.

Struggle with 12 hour nights sometimes when I get no sleep I feel awful and have bad tension headaches so will explain that's why I was off.

going to go in person in the morning to explain so hopefully only a telling off or at worst verbal warning to not do it again as like you say not exactly gross misconduct and I have been there for 6 years now with a otherwise fairly clean record

Comment

Originally posted by Stereosun25 View Post
            Got a company handbook but mentions nothing about not ringing in. Yeah I did tell them so they did know why I wasn't in and was only for 1 night so not like I didn't turn in for a whole week with no idea where I was.

Struggle with 12 hour nights sometimes when I get no sleep I feel awful and have bad tension headaches so will explain that's why I was off.

going to go in person in the morning to explain so hopefully only a telling off or at worst verbal warning to not do it again as like you say not exactly gross misconduct and I have been there for 6 years now with a otherwise fairly clean record
            Good luck mate, don't forget to let me know how you got on.
            If there is no rule about phoning in, just say because of a splitting headache, the phone was on silent mode, or switched off.

Comment

Cheers for all your help much appreciated. They didn't actually call me either. I am on a clean slate on the absence disciplinary scale so I can only get a verbal warning for my time off.

My only offence is just not ringing in to let them know I won't be in for one nightshift. Surely that can't get me sacked after 6 years at the company! Just need to explain why I never called in, I will just say I was sleeping off the headache and by time I woke it was too late.

thinking of going in person tomorrow even though it's my day off just as it's easier to explain than over the phone

will be sure to let you know tomorrow afternoon

Comment

Just rang up there John and they were fine about it I will probably get a warning this week for it but can live with that.

cheers!

Comment

Great news mate.......
                  Thanks for letting me know...
                  Good luck...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X