• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Not Been Paid!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Been Paid!

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I recently started a part time job for a small independent children's centre, and got told I would be paid weekly in cash. When it came to pay day, not a word was mentioned until I questioned my employer about it, and they responded telling me they would pay me on Monday because they had not been paid by parents. When I came into work on Monday they explained that they would have to change they way they paid me to monthly because they still had not been paid themselves. Yesterday at the end of my shift I mentioned again about pay (notice how it is always me mentioning about pay!) and I got told to return to the center to get paid as we were offsite for the day. I went to the center and I got told that they could only pay me for one week out of the 4 I worked, because they still had not been paid. They then tried to say I had already been paid cash in hand for one week, when they 100% hadn't. They also told the 2 other employees that they could not pay them their full months wages. Also, I still have not signed a contract. I was wondering where I stand with this. I feel because I'm still young and this is my first job, as are the other part-timers, they feel they can take us for a ride. What can I do to make them pay me?
    Tags: None

Re: Not Been Paid!

Time to walk away find another job.
    Bunch of shysters there

Comment

Hear hear, Wales.
      What a lousy start to your working life.
      First find another job, then walk.
      You should be given written terms & conditions of employment within a month (I think) of starting.
      You don't have to sign a contract.
      If they said paid weekly, that's what they should do.
      When you were paid did you get a written statement of your pay, and deductions (if any) made?
      Keep your own written record of the hours you work, and the pay (if any) you receive.
      When you leave ask for all outstanding monies, and if they are not forthcoming consider suing them.
      You'll get the help and support you need here.

Comment

I haven't been given any terms & conditions. I got a statement that included the hours worked and amount that got transferred into my account, and i've got a long list of hours and how much the owe me. Me and another part timer are going to go in and speak to them, but we are worried that they won't take us seriously.

Comment

If they genuinely can't pay the staff (were the other employees paid?) because parents have not paid, they can't be running their business properly, and it is yet another pointer to finding alternative job (if there are any in your area).
          If they allow their clients credit, it should not be at the expense of the staff.
          If they could only pay a quarter of your wages, how much credit do they allow parents?
          Don't let them belittle you, & remember there is no point holding on to a job which doesn't actually pay any money.

Comment

What's the point of going to work for these shysters if you can't be sure you'll get paid. As previously stated leave & find another job, then at least you'll spend your time for your benefit not theirs. Suggest you confront them & tell them your leaving immediately if they are unable to pay you in full AND you'll report them to the Job Centre just an case they ask the JC for more victims to work for them

Comment

Hi,
              You do have a contract of employment, even if it is only a verbal one.
              The employer has acted unlawfully in not paying you for the hours you worked.
              He/she must still pay you, even if they have not been paid by their clients/customers.
              You have the right to go to an Employment Tribunal to get your money.

Your employer must give you a wage slip, you are entitled to one, so ask him/her for it.
              Then there can be no doubt about when, or what you was paid.

You should talk to the other people who haven't been paid, and tell them what I have written.
              Then go to the employer and tell him that you are going to complain to a tribunal if he/she doesn't pay you your wages.
              If you’re forced to resign as a result of your employer refusing to pay you, you might be able to make a constructive dismissal claim in an Employment Tribunal.

I know this is your first job, but you and the others who haven't been paid, are being exploited.
              May I ask how old you are?
              If you need any more help, let us know.
              “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Would it cost the OP to go to a tribunal?

Comment

Hi Wales,

The tribunal award costs in all cases, or they may not award any. Depends on the case.
                  In a case such as witholding pay, if proven, then the Tribunal will make the Employer pay the costs.
                  Only if an employee brings a case that is frivolous, or has no chance of success, will the employee have to pay.
                  So, based on what we have been told by the OP, then he will not have to pay anything.
                  “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thanks JB didn't paying good money outwant them

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X