• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Dismissed whilst on sick leave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dismissed whilst on sick leave

Briefly, I have been with my employer since Dec 2012.In Feb, had 10 days off with anxiety and stress, returned to work after this.Currently in my third week off again with this certified by GPJust received letter from employer telling me my employment has been terminated. No reason stated in the letter and no consultation either.Before I went off, was advised by HR to take some time off to get better.I would like to see if this has been done legally as you can imagine this is not doing my stress any goodThanks in advamceDavid
    Tags: None

Re: Dismissed whilst on sick leave

You state you have been with your employer since Dec 2012? The law was changed in April 2012 so that an employer can now terminate a contract of employment without reason in the first 24 months of employment. A sort of extended probationary period. The only exception will be if the employee has "Protected Charaterstics" such as a disability etc

I am afraid you have no comeback and the dismissal will be deemed Lawful as you have completed less than 24 months continuous service

Comment

I agree with Ironman and your sickness will not, in my view, be regarded as a disability within the meaning of the Equality Act.

Comment

Hi David,
        Unfortunately the above posts are correct.
        Even if the dismissal is 'unfair' as yours obviously is. There is no action you can take.
        The qualifying periods of employment before being able to take a tribunal action, is as follows.
        Before 6 April 2012 After first year of employment.
        After 6 April 2012 After 2 years of employment.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

It may be worth considering your rights under the Equality Act 2010. If your anxiety/stress is deemed to be a disability and that is the reason for your current absence from work/dismissal then your employer could be on very, very thin ice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X