• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

company wants me to sign up to Licence Bureau for access to my details for 3 years.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• company wants me to sign up to Licence Bureau for access to my details for 3 years.

Hello folks

firstly i know this is a minor issue way down the list employment issues compared to what other people throughout the country are facing as I type.
    I have been Inscructed by my employer to give them permission to access my driving licence details via a 3rd party data company called the licence bureau.
    I have no issue in them seeing my licence or checking it on a regular basis.

They are threatening disciplinary proceedings on me & fellow employees if we don't sign up by end of August 2014!! Several of my workmates have refused saying same - giving 3 years permission to an unknown 3rd party to divulge personal details at ANY time is against liberty/human rights etc etc but don't know where we stand.

I have indicated to my boss I have no issue providing my licence for inspection at any time to him or my company HR/Transport section. He insists I sign up. I have then said about the security of such data handlers and sale of private information and been told all companies are using the Licence bureau just sign up. I guess I'm lucky as my boss has been patient with my questioning. Up to now!

Where do I stand?. My union which is prospect and very weak has rolled over saying bigger fish to fry e.g. Other disciplinary issue being dealt with etc etc

I feel being forced into signing up to an unknown 3rd party scheme for 3 years is somehow going against my civil liberties. I have a clean licence and nothing to hide.
    just felt like Big Brother tactics.
    Tags: None

Re: company wants me to sign up to Licence Bureau for access to my details for 3 year

Hi LB from LB on LB!
    No doubt someone of our amazing LB'S will be along to answer.
    don't feel just because it's down the list of priorities that it shouldn't be addressed.
    sounds like your boss is understanding to your concerns but will enviably do his job as the Boss and have to enforce your company policy for unruly types who ask too many questions.

though be aware as you say probably 'bigger fish to fry'

Comment

Re: company wants me to sign up to Licence Bureau for access to my details for 3 year

Hi,
      It is a disciplinary matter to refuse a reasonable request from your Employer.
      Now the issue here is.
      Is giving your personal details to a third party reasonable.
      As you have no contract with that third party, I would say the request is unreasonable without your express permission.
      Refusing the request to pass on, or access your personal details should not be a disciplinary procedure.
      Check your contract of employment, and look for any clause that allows your employer to do this.
      Also, not all companies are doing this, and you can tell your boss.

Founded in 2003 by Police Officers and I.T. experts our award winning services are used by 20% of the FTSE-100 and hundreds of smaller companies eager to reduce to the hassle, cost and risks associated with managing drivers and vehicle fleets.

I Wouldn't exactly say this was 'used by all companies' would you?
      Now you have a contract of employment setting out your terms and conditions.
      This contract can only be altered with your permission.
      So if you consider the passing or using your personal details by a third party to be unreasonable.
      Then tell your boss that you would consider it to be, a breach of your contract of employment, if he forces you to sign up.
      Put it in writing and keep a copy.
      This may interest you.
      Data controllers have a responsibility under the data protection principles to ensure there are appropriate technical and security measures to protect personal data.
      For example,
      Portable and mobile devices including laptops and other portable media used to store and transmit personal data should be encrypted using encryption software which meets the current standard or equivalent.

Does your company have encryption software installed to protect your personal details?
      Worth asking.
      Last edited by Johnboy007; 16th August 2014, 07:13:AM.
      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

What exactly is the employers purpose? How exactly do they currently 'manage drivers and fleets'? Why the sudden aggression?

When writing to the employer (keep everything in writing. Follow up verbal conversations with a confirmatory letter), you might observe that if you are compelled to sign up, he will also be liable for any breaches that may follow.

I doubt that this spying will stop at driving licences, so it would be wise to check the small print of the permission document very carefully.

Comment

How can a private company get Licence details from the DVLA?

Comment

As a directly licensed DVLA authorised Licence Checking service the Licence Bureau™ service enables you to quickly perform driver licence checks for all your drivers against current DVLA and DVANI records. We then continually and automatically re-check them for you.
            The unique approach by Licence Bureau™ minimises your risk of employing disqualified drivers, while ensuring your business complies with complex driver management legislation so reducing your corporate risks and your insurance premiums typically by 11-13%.
            Licence Bureau™ was the first company to develop a unique driving licence verification system based on a three year consent accessing the DVLA driver database.
            This entitles us, with your drivers’ permission, to access their DVLA driver record at any time during the three year term with no further recourse to the driver. Our service complies with the requirements of the DVLA and the Data Protection Act providing you with clear concise and meaningful reports.

Now the point to note here is, three year consent accessing the DVLA driver database.
            'This entitles us, with your drivers’ permission, to access their DVLA driver record
            So your consent is needed for the Licence Bureau to access the DVLA driver database, and permission is needed to access your driver record on that database.
            It is not a statutory obligation, neither is it in your contract of employment, unless you agree to it.
            Your company will be in breach of your contract of employment if they discipline you for non compliance of this request.
            The company obviously want to use this service to save money.
            Also if you got points on your license at any time, the company would know about it.
            You can check it out for yourselves at... http://www.licencebureau.co.uk/driver-licence-check/
            “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Unbeleivable that DVLA sell private info to a company to make a profit from?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                Unbeleivable that DVLA sell private info to a company to make a profit from?
                It supposed to be an official bureau of the DVLA
                Evidently the company was founded in 2003 and is run by Police Officers? and I.T experts.
                Not too sure about serving Police Officers having a hand in this company.
                Maybe it should have read Ex Police Officers.

Comment

I have just looked at the Licence Bureau's website and I have concerns.

All drivers driving passenger-carrying vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats or goods vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight in excess of 3500 kgs have to undergo compulsory training every so many years. This is called the Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC). It is both the driver and employer's responsibility to ensure CPC has been undertaken and is up to date.

Also, drivers have to undergo a strict medical examination periodically to ensure they are fit to drive. DVLA can suspend or revoke a Category C or D licence if a driver fails a medical examination or needs to satisfy certain conditions before they are allowed out on the road at the wheel of a passenger-carrying or goods vehicle.

Also, subject to any exemptions, all transport business - passenger and goods - need to employ a Transport Manager who must hold certain qualifications. It is the TM who has responsibility for ensuring driver's comply with relevant legislation.

My personal opinion of the OP's employers is that they are behaving in a heavy-handed and bullying manner and it would do the OP and his colleagues no harm to make discreet enquiries about the Licence Bureau with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and whether ICO considers the employer's actions fall within the scope of the Data Protection Act 1998 or whether the employer needs a regulatory kick up the backside. The threatening of disciplinary proceedings for not signing up may well amount to a breach and confidence on the part of the employer, leading to claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal.

I feel the OP and his colleagues need to do some checking on the Licence Bureau as I found this on the Licence Bureau's site. The MP in question is or was a Minister at the Department for Transport.
                  Attached Files
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Personally, I would call their bluff and refuse point blank to give permission.

Comment

Thanks for advice. Since posting several colleagues feel they have no choice but to sign up :-( leaving very few of us to make a case....

Comment

Bluebottle. I can't open the MP letter. Any other way to see it please?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakesbiker View Post
                          Bluebottle. I can't open the MP letter. Any other way to see it please?
                          The only way I can suggest is to go the The Licence Bureau's website and download it from there.

Do you have an up-to-date version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer? If not, this might be the reason it won't open.
                          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X