• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

not being issued uniform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not being issued uniform

bit of a weird one here.
    four years ago my company changed name and we were all issued new uniform with the new company logo.
    We were given five polo shirts.

However due to the nature of the job and general wear and tear, I am down to two badly damaged polos.
    I contacted HR and explained the need for new uniform who contacted my line manager and then got back to me explaining that my line manager has already spoken to me about uniform and none will be issued.
    This is a blatant lie. I have never spoken to my line manager about uniform.

Thus; I explained without uniform I shall be forced to wear my own clothes and was told that if I did that I would be called in for a disciplinary.

What on earth can I do in this stupid situation?
    Tags: None

Re: not being issued uniform

wear their rags

Comment

Hi,
      Use the heath and safety at work act 1974, or the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992.
      Depending on what your work entails.
      Do you manufacture anything, if so what?
      Do you use hazardous materials?
      Do you operate machinery?
      How badly damaged, is badly damaged?
      Torn, shredded, falling to bits?
      Five polo shirts in four years is far from excessive.
      Let me know the answers, and I will tell you what legislation to quote.

P.S
      Is it a condition of your contract of employment that you have to wear uniform?
      Last edited by Johnboy007; 7th August 2014, 19:38:PM.
      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Hiya, thanks.

Right well I work as a shop fitter (12 hour shifts) so whilst the uniform isn't for protection against chemicals but is required to identify ourselves as working but not as members of actual store staff.

One of the two remaining polos is badly discoloured by bleach but fully wearable.
        the other has a can sized hole on the front (exposing bare hairy chest haha) and the side stitching has split and the sides hang in two up to about 15cm. That one is falling to pieces lol.

Comment

Well my friend I would use the Health and safety at work act 1974.

General duties of employers to their employees.

(1)It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees.

(2)Without prejudice to the generality of an employer’s duty under the preceding subsection, the matters to which that duty extends include in particular—

(a)the provision and maintenance of plant and systems of work that are, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe and without risks to health;

(b)arrangements for ensuring, so far as is reasonably practicable, safety and absence of risks to health in connection with the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances;

(c)the provision of such information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety at work of his employees;

(d)so far as is reasonably practicable as regards any place of work under the employer’s control, the maintenance of it in a condition that is safe and without risks to health and the provision and maintenance of means of access to and egress from it that are safe and without such risks;

(e)the provision and maintenance of a working environment for his employees that is, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe, without risks to health, and adequate as regards facilities and arrangements for their welfare at work.

The points to note are,
          (1)It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees.
          'adequate as regards facilities and arrangements for their welfare at work.'

Now I notice that you said one of your polo shirts has a bleach stain on it.
          Bleach is a hazardous substance and as such, the employer is responsible in law, to provide (free of charge) anything that will protect you, this includes adequate clothing.
          Your polo shirt with the can sized hole in it, is unsafe to wear, as it leaves your bare hairy chest exposed to toxic substances.
          So the employer has a legal duty to replace them immediately they become aware of the problem.
          If the employer will not provide adequate clothing, then disciplining you for wearing your own clothes, would leave him open to a possible Employment Tribunal case.
          You should request from HR, as a matter of urgency immediate replacements for the damaged polo shirts.
          Point out that the employer has a duty of care under the Health And Safety Act 1974, for his employees.
          As you use Bleach, a toxic substance, and machinery (saws, drills Etc you are exposed to these dangers, and require adequate clothing for your protection.
          Put this request in writing, and save a copy.
          See what response you get and we will see where we go from there.
          Do not worry mate, I still have one or two things up my sleeve.
          “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X