• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Customer Services forced to sell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Services forced to sell

Hi guys

As you know I work as a Customer Services Advisor in a outsourcing company. When I was interviewed I was advised part of my job was "promoting relevent services" to customers, but there were no sales involved. I was happy with this as hard sales were never part of my idea of the Ideal Job!

Slowly the "promotion" part of the job has turned in to blatant sales, with team leaders wandering round once every 2 hours asking for your sales figures, and having "huddles" to discuss how to increase the sales potentials of the unit!
    Meetings that used to be how to increase customer satisfaction have turned in to how to generate more sales and any customer serivces issues (i.e the job I'm paid to do) are being put on the back burner or just generally ignored.

Don't get me wrong, the ability to sell is not a problem to me, but to me once I have said "Do you know that XXX is available" thats is my job done. If the customer says no, the customer says no. They now want me to ask WHY the customer doesn't want it and try to convince the customer to take it, surely that is not promoting but outright hard selling?

I have applied for internal transfer to be told I will not be considered as my sales figures are too high, but the fact remains I dont want to do the sales in the first place!

Management now want daily "pledges" for how many sales we will make on a daily basis, and to have us write every call we take down and the reason we didn't make a sale! Also we have to ask them if we can call them back to take the product and call them back to "close the sale!"
    I used to love my job, now I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, I am counting down days until my next day off and I am uninterested and unhappy every day, my hair is slowly falling out, and I am thinking "Go away and leave me alone" for the majority of my shift. Literally my Team Leader stands behind me and taps my shoulder and very loudly says "HOW MANY SALES HAVE YOU DONE TODAY?" whilst I am speaking to a customer, and won't go away till I answer, having to put my customer on hold.

I have the highest customer services happiness rating on the team, but that doesnt seem to be enough, I have to sell too?

what are my rights to say I am unhappy with the sales and it is affecting my actual job, which at the end of the day is customer services?

EDIT: forgot to add, I have never recieved any formal sales training, just sheets with "pros and cons" and prices, my last coaching session consisted of my team leader sitting beside me listening to a call saying "Landline and Broadband!!! Ring him back!!" and texting her boyfriend on a phone that should be switched off, and I have been told I am "carrying" the team with my satisfaction ratings from customers.
    Last edited by Hurricane Puffrose; 4th August 2014, 19:04:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Customer Services forced to sell

Hi,
    Do you have a copy of your contract of employment?
    If so could you either upload it here, editing all personal details of course.
    Or if you message me I will give you my email address.
    Reading through your post, it seems that your employer is gradually introducing fundamental changes to your terms and conditions of employment.
    By law he cannot do this without your permission.
    Customer services include many things, including trying, up to a point, to convince the customer to purchase the item.
    It is your job to try to give customer satisfaction.
    However, it is not your job to 'hard sell' to customers, nor should you be held to a target.
    Depending on what your terms and conditions are, you could be lodging a 'Grievance' under the companies grievance procedure
    If you do not have copies of the companies 'Grievance, Disciplinary, and Appeals procedures, then I strongly advice you ask your employer for copies of them. It is your right.
    Once I have details of your employment contract, I will be in a better position to advise you further.
    Johnaw:
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Puff, I was so sorry to read this - it's so unfair and counterproductive

I remember when you got the job and how happy you were then - how good you are at it .

Can't help with the employment law (although I suspect it will be the usual dispiriting story) - just wanted to express support and also to wonder why on earth "management" would think it a good move to employ someone to bully staff to bully customers - surely that salary would be better spent on maintaining what sounds like a previous excellent service, with both happy staff and happy customers?

Anyway.:hugx

Comment

thanks guys, will ask The Man to upload my contract for me, if i had the actually training or was given something saying I was now sales based I would be more... inclined shall we say?

right now I am thinking why am I even bothering? My last Customer Satisfaction score came in at 98%, the next person on the team anywhere near that was at 68%!

My ops manager asked how I achieved such a high score and I said, I dont pressure sell.

When asked why I have to sell, I am told it's the job I am paid for, and its part of my job.

Thanks Miss FM, I used to adore my job, now its a bloody nightmare!

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
          thanks guys, will ask The Man to upload my contract for me, if i had the actually training or was given something saying I was now sales based I would be more... inclined shall we say?

right now I am thinking why am I even bothering? My last Customer Satisfaction score came in at 98%, the next person on the team anywhere near that was at 68%!

My ops manager asked how I achieved such a high score and I said, I dont pressure sell.

When asked why I have to sell, I am told it's the job I am paid for, and its part of my job.

Thanks Miss FM, I used to adore my job, now its a bloody nightmare!
          It all depends on your job description as stated in your contract of employment.
          “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

can they stop you from having an internal transfer if your sales rates are too high? cos im sure that I have a right to go where I like?
            my only reason to want to transfer is the sales

Comment

Without seeing terms and conditions of your employment, I really can't say.

This is a job description for a Customer Service Manager I found.
              Although the work varies, depending on the type and size of the employing organisation, typical activities are likely to include some or all of the following:

• providing help and advice to customers using your organisation's products or services;
              • communicating courteously with customers by telephone, email, letter and face to face;
              • investigating and solving customers' problems, which may be complex or long-standing problems that have been passed on by customer service assistants;
              • handling customer complaints or any major incidents, such as a security issue or a customer being taken ill;
              • issuing refunds or compensation to customers;
              • keeping accurate records of discussions or correspondence with customers;
              • analysing statistics or other data to determine the level of customer service your organisation is providing;
              • producing written information for customers, often involving use of computer packages/software;
              • writing reports analysing the customer service that your organisation provides;
              • developing feedback or complaints procedures for customers to use;
              • developing customer service procedures, policies and standards for your organisation or department;
              • meeting with other managers to discuss possible improvements to customer service;
              • being involved in staff recruitment and appraisals;
              • training staff to deliver a high standard of customer service;
              • leading or supervising a team of customer service staff;
              • learning about your organisation's products or services and keeping up to date with changes;
              • keeping ahead of developments in customer service by reading relevant journals, going to meetings and attending courses.

I have been reading other trades Customer Service Representative job descriptions, and nowhere can I see anything about 'SALES'.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                Puff, I was so sorry to read this - it's so unfair and counterproductive
                I totally agree!

Sales should be left to those who enjoy selling, it's a natural 'gift' not all of us have. I couldn't sell a bottle of water to a group of dehydrated trekkers in the desert!

I remember when you got the job and how happy you were then - how good you are at it .

Can't help with the employment law (although I suspect it will be the usual dispiriting story)
                Indeed, it looks like employers can do as they wish and there's nothing that can be done about it (other than typing a resignation letter).

just wanted to express support and also to wonder why on earth "management" would think it a good move to employ someone to bully staff to bully customers - surely that salary would be better spent on maintaining what sounds like a previous excellent service, with both happy staff and happy customers?

Anyway.:hugx
                Same here:_tighthug__by_darkm

Comment

thank you John, and FP.

All i want is to be able to do my job, there is an upgrades dept for sales, and a dedicated sales team, if i was upgrades trained *coughs* I know how to do it but don't have access to the system I wouldnt mind selling!

they tried to make me a techical advisor once and I went ok you make me tech and I will just stop coming in!

Comment

Sales should be left to those who enjoy selling, it's a natural 'gift' not all of us have. I couldn't sell a bottle of water to a group of dehydrated trekkers in the desert!
                    You're really underselling yourself there, FP msl:

Comment

I once got a job as a Velcro salesman, but it was a rip-off!
                      My reference stated.
                      "This employee should go far-and the sooner he starts, the better."

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
                        thank you John, and FP.

All i want is to be able to do my job, there is an upgrades dept for sales, and a dedicated sales team, if i was upgrades trained *coughs* I know how to do it but don't have access to the system I wouldnt mind selling!

they tried to make me a techical advisor once and I went ok you make me tech and I will just stop coming in!
                        I'd very much rather do that than sell. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

People have different abilities for different things, otherwise we'd all be doing the same thing. :grin:

Comment

just aced a telephone interveiw with a new company, getting all the paperwork soon pmsl

let them try and stop me moving now

Comment

just aced a telephone interveiw with a new company, getting all the paperwork soon pmsl
                            let them try and stop me moving now

So you made me study case law and legislation for hours at a time.
                            Sitting up till the early hours of the morning, worrying about you.
                            And now this bombshell.
                            Congratulations..........

Comment

you have no idea how much I do appreicate it hun, basically I have applied to work for the DWP on an advice line for parents who are seperating/ divorcing. I will miss the boys and girls in my team if I get it, but I wont look back!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X