• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Dismissal on medical ineffeincy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dismissal on medical ineffeincy

Hi, new to Legalbeagles today, I am looking for infor on civil service, moj, dismissal,on medical innefiency. Having been on long term sick for over six months, I have hit a trigger and had a warning for my sickness abcense, I have now been called into work for what I fear is to be finished on medical ineffiency, i would like to know the difference between this and medical retirement. I have worked in the same position fo over five years, many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Dismissal on medical ineffeincy

As I understand it, medical inefficiency would be taken to be the same as capability in other organisations. You can be dismissed on those grounds if you have been unable to perform your job for some time.

You should be told though what the purpose of the meeting is that you have been asked to and in particular that dismissal may be the outcome.

The public sector pension schemes are cracking down on ill health retirements, that is the difference, ill health retirement would trigger the payment of your pension, capability dismissal does not.

Your pension scheme will have specific criteria to qualify for ill health retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
      As I understand it, medical inefficiency would be taken to be the same as capability in other organisations. You can be dismissed on those grounds if you have been unable to perform your job for some time.
      Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
      You should be told though what the purpose of the meeting is that you have been asked to and in particular that dismissal may be the outcome.

The public sector pension schemes are cracking down on ill health retirements, that is the difference, ill health retirement would trigger the payment of your pension, capability dismissal does not.

Your pension scheme will have specific criteria to qualify for ill health retirement.
      Hi, thanks for that info, appreciate that. Would it make a difference if occ health have said my illness is now classes a disability as it has lasted longer than twelve months, also I am not registered disabled. I find this whole matter very confusing and conflicting. Do i have any rights here. Many thanks.

Comment

Hi

If it is a disability within the meaning of the Act (and duration is only one of the criteria, the more important one is the impact on day to day life) that would trigger an obligation to consider whether adjustments could be made to accommodate it.

It wouldn't prevent dismissal on capability grounds.

You really need to get a hold of your Department's policy on it - it will be an absence management policy or similar.

(There is no such thing as "registered disabled" now, local authorities used to maintain registers under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 but that requirement was abolished by the DDA 1995 which has itself been repealed by the Equality Act 2010 - I believe a few local authorities still do so on a voluntary basis but registration doesn't confer any benefit)

Comment

Are you in a union? If there is a possibility of either losing your job or retirement on ill health grounds it would be useful. I imagine you will have a PCS rep at work. You should be able to contact them via phone.

PIN40 is the relevant document governing this area. There is a version linked below, though this may well have been updated. Point 2.1 will be of most interest possibly.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...I7sl2S9kPYBEEw

Also attached is the union guidance on this area. Section 4 would apply to you.

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-co..._tcm6-1517.pdf
          Last edited by Wombats; 19th June 2014, 21:59:PM.

Comment

Many thanks for this, i have forwarded to my union rep and asked him to contact acas on my behalf. I am so angry that they can instantly dismiss me after one warning. Ohassist have all the medical facts etc and have labelled me as disabled. My condition is treatable and manageable and i am awaiting treatment but have no control when this will be. I find it ironic that the government want my age group to work until I am 67 before drawing gov pension, but the same gov I work for will not give older people time to get over major illnesses and diseases!!! I dont feel six monthe is an adequate time for poeple like myself that have have two surgeries in eight months and am awaiting final treatment which will allow me to return to work.!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X