• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

money taken from wages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• money taken from wages

A very good friend was telling me today that the company he works for took £700 of his wages (half his wage) without telling him, they called him into the office three days later to tell him why they had done it.
    "I'll give you a brief history of events leading upto the company calling him into the office"
    He was hired out by his company to another company to work on a hydrolic system that connected to an industrial gearbox, he had to blast beads through the hydrolic pipes to clean them but failed to double check that all the beads where accounted for.
    When they fired the engine up there was a bang in the gearbox and it seized, the gearbox had to be sent away for repair but no beads where found in the gearbox so it's questionable that he was to blame.
    He was called into the office and told by the management that he was very lucky not to be sacked but they have taken £700 out of his wages to pay for the repair as his company are not willing to pay for it, he's not a fully qualified engineer yet (he gets his qualifications in 6 weeks) and has been employed for four years as an apprentice.
    His company has been sending him out on jobs 'including this one' and charging other companies at fully qualified engineers rate, he had no prior notice that they where going to deduct his wages nor has he signed any agreement letting them take the money.

Where does he stand? it sounds wrong to me
    Tags: None

Re: money taken from wages

It is wrong, Swifty - unlawful deduction of wages. More clued-up Beagles will enlarge. x

Comment

Yes it is an unlawful deduction under section 13 employment rights act 1996 - The employer needs consent to make any deductions from an employees wage, regardless of the employers reason for making such deduction.

The only way the employer can get round section 13 would be if they had taken disciplinary action under ACAS code of practice 1: Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures, which under section 14 of the same act allows the employer to make such deductions as part of the outcome of such disciplinary action.

In this case, it seems the employer is also acting in breach of health and safety regulations, by sending out an unqualified apprentice (unsupervised) to do the jobs of a fully qualified engineer. Perhaps a threat reminding the employer of this and your friends willingness to report them to HSE for such actions would persuade the employer to think again. End of the day the employers liability insurance would have covered the cost of any such repairs! Though as your friend was not qualified then the employer would likely not be able to make a claim as it would likely invalidate his/her insurance.

In form your friend his best course of action is to contact ACAS and explain the situation in full, including sending him out unsupervised to carry out work of qaulified engineer, when hes not yet qualified to do so, would be his best course of action. As they will contact the employer on your friends behalf to give the employer a little kick up the bum!
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks teaboy2, I'll pass on the info

Comment

[QUOTE=teaboy2;438573 End of the day the employers liability insurance would have covered the cost of any such repairs! Though as your friend was not qualified then the employer would likely not be able to make a claim as it would likely invalidate his/her insurance.

[/QUOTE]

Being a bit picky here, but damage to customer's equipment would not be covered by employers liability Policy. The employer should be carrying some form of commercial liability policy, but even if purchased, as already suggested, as employee was not qualified/ supervised by qualified engineer any claim would likely be avoided by insurers.

Comment

I think the company should take full responsibility and pay for the repairs as they where the ones who put an unqualified engineer on the job in the first place 'cheapskates', anyway it hasn't been proven that he caused the damage so why should he have to foot the bill?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Being a bit picky here, but damage to customer's equipment would not be covered by employers liability Policy. The employer should be carrying some form of commercial liability policy, but even if purchased, as already suggested, as employee was not qualified/ supervised by qualified engineer any claim would likely be avoided by insurers.
              That was what i was referring to when i said the employers liability insurance, i was talking in general obviously and not talking about actual "employer liability insurance" which only covers employee illness and sickness etc lol
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X