• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Accepting and then declining a job offer ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepting and then declining a job offer ?

Right, I really need advice on this one.

So I am 24 and a graduate who unfortunately came out of work 6 months ago. I recently applied for a job that was not really what I wanted but there were no other offers and I had been declined from another interview, so I thought okay I'll go for it and see what happens.

In the mean time I had a look around and applied for a few more, one in particular that was much more suited. However, I didn't hear back so I assumed that I had been rejected as it stated that if you did not hear back then this was the case.

I got the job at the first one but they have literally taken ages, to sort out my employment with them. In the mean time, just yesterday I received a call from the other company who apologised for the delay by advising that a key member of staff had an unexpected absence so it pushed things back. They really liked my application, have checked me out on Linkedin and they want to meet me, tomorrow.

But the other job want me to start Monday 19th. So this Monday. I have not signed a contract but I have verbally accepted. My question is. Should the job I want pay off and they offer! What on earth do I do?

The first job is with the council. Will they reject future applications? Will they shout at me? Is their legal obligations? Surely I am not the only one with this problem? I feel that I am in a sticky situation as after six months of money worries, hunting etc. I now have two potentials and actually, I did not realise that this is more stressful than being out of work in the first place.

What would you do? Do I look after number one? Or do I try and protect my reputation and not piss the other one off?
    Tags: None

Re: Accepting and then declining a job offer ?

Hmm

If you take the one you are not that keen on, that could be a long time in a job you have no enthusiasm for

As you haven't signed, I'd say its very unlikely you'll have any legal obligation to them and I'm sure this sort of thing happens all the time

The only real issue is how long its likely to take the other company to offer you a role - what is the notice period for the council role?

(only saying this from the POV of better to be earning something whilst waiting, even if you later ditch it with the required notice period)

You DEFINITELY need to think of number 1 in this situation - how much care do you think they'd show you if 2 months in there were a round of redundancies?

As for the P'ing them off angle, if you dont really want to work there, do you really care?

This is business, straight and simple - so long as you stick to the law, do what is best for you

Comment

Originally posted by Adelle View Post
      I got the job at the first one but they have literally taken ages, to sort out my employment with them. In the mean time, just yesterday I received a call from the other company who apologised for the delay by advising that a key member of staff had an unexpected absence so it pushed things back. They really liked my application, have checked me out on Linkedin and they want to meet me, tomorrow.

But the other job want me to start Monday 19th. So this Monday. I have not signed a contract but I have verbally accepted. My question is. Should the job I want pay off and they offer! What on earth do I do?
      I can't tell you what to do because that's your decision, however, I can tell you that someone I know went as far as to sign a contract (for 6 months I believe it was) and, on the day he was due to start, he decided not to take the job. No action was ever taken against him. Since you haven't signed anything, you haven't got any legal obligation with them, however, they are likely to be upset, as you and I would be in the same circumstances, but that's about it.

The first job is with the council. Will they reject future applications?
      Possibly, at least for some time, till they forget you or the people who knew about this move on.

Will they shout at me? Is their legal obligations? Surely I am not the only one with this problem? I feel that I am in a sticky situation as after six months of money worries, hunting etc. I now have two potentials and actually, I did not realise that this is more stressful than being out of work in the first place.
      There is no reason to shout at you, you can inform them in writing, maybe by email? :typing: There wouldn't be legal obligations if you didn't sign anything.

What would you do? Do I look after number one? Or do I try and protect my reputation and not piss the other one off?
      I would certainly look after number one, but that's just me. :grin: Your reputation wouldn't be damaged as such, you have the right to make the choice that's best for you. :thumb:

Comment

Even though you have agreed verbally to the first job, your contract with them has not started as yet (i.e. start date), therefore your free to take on other better jobs.

You can simply rescind your verbal agreement to go and work for the council, by calling (or writing) them and telling them that as it has taken them so long to sort out a starting date for you, you have had a better offer and have accepted it, and are therefore rescinding your verbal acceptance of the councils job offer. They don't need to know anything else, or the fact its only an interview that you have been offered.

By the sounds of what the second company have said, about liking your LinkedIn page, then it sounds like they are very interested in having you work for them. Though don't take that for granted.
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X