• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

TUPE and holidays accrued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUPE and holidays accrued

Hi everyone

I wonder if someone can advise me?

I work for a recycling company. The companies workforce is supplied by an employment agency. I am one of the workforce.

The company decided to cease working with this agency and brought in a different on. I shall call the first agency.. Agency A and the newer second Agency B.

None of the workforce knew that the company was bringing in a new agency. The first we heard of it was when we were brought into the office one at a time. This new agency told us that come the end of the month (March) they would be supplying the company with workers. We would be working for this new agency from 1st April and everything would be the same . They also advised us to take all our holidays before they took over because this new agency based their holiday year from April to March. So in effect we would start with a clean slate.

Agency A called into the company on the last day of their contract and spoke to us. They said that no matter how often they called Agency B they could not get together to discuss TUPE. I was advised to sign the TUPE agreement to protect my rights, which I did.

As it was already the middle of March not everyone could take their holidays in so short a time so I emailed/telephoned Agency A and asked them to pay me for the outstanding holidays I would not be able to take.

Anyway, I am now working for Agency B and all seems well except that when I mentioned my accrued holidays they said I should contact Agency A and get them to pay up.

I have now received a letter from Agency A stating that under TUPE any accrued holidays transfers to the new employer.

So I am at a loss what to do. Agency A says TUPE applies Agency B says not.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 8th April 2014, 08:26:AM. Reason: cag link
    Tags: None

Re: TUPE and holidays accrued

found this on :yo:
    https://www.gov.uk/transfers-takeove...ment-contracts

Transfers of employment contracts

Under TUPE, the new employer takes over employees’ employment contracts, including:
    • all the previous terms and conditions of employment
    • any failures of the previous employer to observe employees’ rights (so employees could make a claim for discrimination against the new employer, even if it took place before the transfer)
    • holiday entitlement
    • period of continuous employment - an employee’s start date is the same as before the transfer, so continuous employment isn’t broken
    • any collective agreements previously made

It’s a breach of contract if the new employer doesn’t meet the terms of the employment contract.
    Don't let them grind you down

Comment

The problem here is that company B did not take over company A. No doubt company A is still in existence. You have, effectively, moved your employment from company A to company B and it was not a TUPE process. You could have stayed with company A but you would no longer have a job. You have, in effect, resigned from company A and joined company B and unfortunately company A will have to pay any accrued holiday pay.

It was the recycling company that decided to change the suppliers that they used, not companies A and B combining.

Comment

Originally posted by jonbr View Post
        Hi everyone

I wonder if someone can advise me?

Agency A called into the company on the last day of their contract and spoke to us. They said that no matter how often they called Agency B they could not get together to discuss TUPE. I was advised to sign the TUPE agreement to protect my rights, which I did.

I have now received a letter from Agency A stating that under TUPE any accrued holidays transfers to the new employer.

So I am at a loss what to do. Agency A says TUPE applies Agency B says not.
        Originally posted by ostell View Post
        The problem here is that company B did not take over company A. No doubt company A is still in existence. You have, effectively, moved your employment from company A to company B and it was not a TUPE process. You could have stayed with company A but you would no longer have a job. You have, in effect, resigned from company A and joined company B and unfortunately company A will have to pay any accrued holiday pay.

It was the recycling company that decided to change the suppliers that they used, not companies A and B combining.
        sorry as i read the OP i thought they had said TUPE applies
        Don't let them grind you down

Comment

I don't believe that TUPE applies in this case as the companies concerned are separate entities and are not commercially connected. Of course company A says that holidays accrued are transferred to company B but did company A transfer the cash for the accrued holidays to company B? Probably not. And why should company B pay for holidays that were not accrued during their employment period?

Comment

I have 'googled' for more answers based on your replies and I believe you are absolutely right. I should have mentioned in my opening that the company I work for have a 'core' workforce of permanent employees, and the rest including myself are agency based.
            So from your replies and from what I have read, TUPE does not apply in this case. Therefore Agency A owe me for the accrued holidays. Unfortunately Agency A ended their letter to me stating that would not discuss the matter any further.

I guess that I will have to go down the legal route.

Once again, many thanks for your replies, it helped me a lot.

Comment

Hi Jonbr,

I just wondered if you could let us know how you got on with this? Did it turn out to be a TUPE case? Who paid your holiday eventually?

Any further information would be really appreciated, I'm currently doing a research project on TUPE and agency workers.

Many thanks in advance!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X