• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary for being un-contactable whilst signed off work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplinary for being un-contactable whilst signed off work

Hi

I had an operation on my shoulder and was signed off work for 6 weeks. Everyone at work knew I was going off for the operation and my doctors note was handed in the very next day. After 3 weeks I felt like I would be fit to go back to work the week after, so visited the doctor and received a fit to work note.
    So in my eyes I was going back to work 2 weeks early and everything would be fine.
    Once I got into work I realised something was up as my work accounts were disabled and my company mobile had been disabled.
    When I spoke to HR I was told that they tried to contact me 2 days before I went back to work but I didn’t answer my phone and I didn’t respond to the voicemail that was left.
    I do remember looking at a couple of missed calls on my mobile but I couldn’t access the voicemail, I thought EE was having issues again but this wasn’t the case, work had actually disabled my phone. As I could not make a call out I had no idea who had left the voicemail.
    So, the reason they tried to contact me was to say I had not updated my HR records when I moved house therefore my Payslips had been sent back to work. Then they told me this was not following company procedures. To be honest I didn’t think that this was such a huge issue, It is something that has just slipped my mind.
    During my time off, I had spoken to 3 fellow employees via text/phone calls and also my direct manager who is the MD of the company via text message and email and the Head of HR via email. So I was contactable until the moment they decided to block my company mobile.
    Then they told me that in the Employee handbook it states that I should be contacting my employer every 7 days to give them an update on my absence.
    When I checked the handbook, what it actually states is that I should contact them every 7 days if this was an unauthorised absence or an absence without prior authorisation. Surely the fact I had spoken to everyone before going off for my operation and handed in a doctors note for 6 weeks is my prior authorisation.
    So obviously my question is, what on earth do I do here? I have this meeting on Wednesday and am panicking because to me it seems like the are clutching at straws and have no right to be disciplining me for the false reasons, but they obviously see something wrong here.

Thank you for reading this.
    Tags: None

Re: Disciplinary for being un-contactable whilst signed off work

It's either a jumped-up HR nobody trying to feel important ('Those that can do, those that can't do anything at all, go into HR'), or they are trying to set you up for dismissal.

Then they told me that in the Employee handbook it states that I should be contacting my employer every 7 days to give them an update on my absence.
    If this is as it appears to be, complete nonsense, try to trick them into putting it in writing.

Comment

Hi

Well yes I do think they are trying to set me up at the moment. I knew as soon as I had got my big 4 projects done they could look at making me redundant but this just takes the biscuit. Although i have to say, HR have been acting aggressively towards everyone recently.
      Thanks for your advice, not sure it eases my fears at this moment in time but atleast everyone i have s

Comment

Hi
        So after talking to a few people I have decided that our HR department are being overly aggressive and knowing that our head of HR who is doing the interview is not particularly bright I am going to record this interview. I know she will get aggressive and make mistakes so I think it's the best thing to do.
        Also, can anyone answer this?.
        In my return to work interview she has ticked the box that says "Acceptable reason for absence _ Pay full contractual pay"
        There is options for pay full sick pay, pay ssp and finally no company sick pay or ssp.
        Now I only received 2 weeks and 3 days full pay, and then the next 7 days SSP. This is not what she has agreed to is it?.
        Shall I bring this up in the meeting? I don't want to push my luck but I know this will throw her off her guard, I really don't want this hanging over my head because I will be looking for another job as soon as this is done.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Robertow
          So after talking to a few people I have decided that our HR department are being overly aggressive and knowing that our head of HR who is doing the interview is not particularly bright I am going to record this interview. I know she will get aggressive and make mistakes so I think it's the best thing to do.
          Agreed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X