• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Companies withdrawing job offers because of criminal record, what can I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companies withdrawing job offers because of criminal record, what can I do?

Hi, everybody,

I got two job offers, one from Hitachi and the other from EY. Both companies asked me for a Basic Disclosure, My criminal record expires in about 5 weeks longest, but it is possible it got expired already.
    I told both employers that I have a criminal record and they both withdrew the offer – Hitachi told me that it would be difficult to put me on clients’ projects because of my criminal record (difficulties to pass the security checks and travelling abroad) and EY told me that because I was in prison, I have employment gaps in my CV which I did not disclose. By the way, both companies claim not to discriminate ex-offenders. And none of the companies carried out much of a further assessment of my situation : I was not invited for additional meeting to discuss my situation, I was not asked to provide circumstances of the offence and other details, only when I got imprisoned and for how long (I do not remember this information because then I was so depressed, always tried to forget that experience, my case was very complicated and I qualified for many amnesties and early release).
    To my knowledge, there will be no problems for me travelling abroad because I got caught in a law that is applicable only to the UK, I don’t know any other country that has such an interpretation of the law. There will be no problem with the clients checking my background because I will start with the company only after my criminal record expires and the leading companies in the industry where I am working do not discriminate against ex-offenders. And I worked while I was imprisoned. The only problem is that prisons never confirm or reject this statement, it is only validated via my MP who previously helped me to resolve one case with non-employment discrimination. Finally, I worked with a few charities after I was released, so again it shows my good character.
    What can I do in my situation? To my knowledge, both companies have a written policy on recruitment of ex-offenders, but they did not follow it.
    Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Companies withdrawing job offers because of criminal record, what can I do?

Sorry to hear this but without knowing the crime you were convicted of its a bit difficult to comment .does a Criminal record expire?

Comment

Thank you for reply.
      The problem is that, I believe I am the only person who was charged and convicted under one law and my wife organised a campaign to help me out, so it was covered by press and it will be very easy to identify me. I was harassed before, therefore now I am much more cautious to disclose anything about myself.
      It is possible that my criminal record already became "spent" because of recent ROA change, but most likely my criminal record will become "spent" in about 1 month.
      I understand that it is not enough information, but I wonder if I could get some direction where and how to search for advice. At least when I was imprisoned, my wife asked for an advice on several legal forumsand Citizen Advice Bureau, all replies were that my case was a definite loss until one lawyer replied that he won similar case before, they confidently discussed my case, he took it on and won. He does not deal with employment matters, so I cannot use him.

Comment

A great deal will depend on the nature of the offence for which you were imprisoned.

Comment

Totally agree.
          It was not fraud, violence, drugs, animal cruelty, falsification of documents, financial crime, hate, immigration or against a person (no person or people involved).

Comment

Problem for some potential Employers is you were convicted and served a Sentence in prison I don't know if the CRB check lists the Crime .

You have done your time problem is now this may hang round your neck for a while

Comment

Did the application forms for these positions include a question about previous convictions? If so, how was it worded and did you answer truthfully at that stage?

If it really is only 5 weeks until your convictions are "Spent" under the ROA, It may be prudent to simply chalk these withdrawn offers up to experience, and perhaps hold off submitting further applications until you can truthfully answer a question about unspent convictions without having to disclose (although not forgetting that certain positions may still require you to disclose your history).

Don't forget that the period of rehabilitation depends on the length of the custodial sentence.

If you'd like to share some further detail so that I am in a better position to advise, I'm happy for you to contact me by PM with sensitive personal information - however if possible it's usually best to keep things in the open so that they can help other people searching for advice in the future.
              I am a Paralegal Consultant.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.

Comment

Just FYI - may help you with the actual timings under the ROA, if you aren't already aware.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.

Comment

:badidea: (That's Kamalkhan, not my own post which is chopped pork...obviously :tinysmile_twink_t2: )

Comment

Originally posted by Omega View Post
                    I got two job offers, one from Hitachi and the other from EY. Both companies asked me for a Basic Disclosure, My criminal record expires in about 5 weeks longest, but it is possible it got expired already.
                    I told both employers that I have a criminal record and they both withdrew the offer – Hitachi told me that it would be difficult to put me on clients’ projects because of my criminal record (difficulties to pass the security checks and travelling abroad) and EY told me that because I was in prison, I have employment gaps in my CV which I did not disclose.
                    Travelling abroad? I know someone with a very recent criminal conviction who has been abroad at least three times since convicted, the first one when he was still on a suspended sentence.

Having said that, I also know someone who had a job offer withdrawn, because a credit check revealed ONE default on his credit file. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Originally posted by Omega View Post
                    What can I do in my situation? To my knowledge, both companies have a written policy on recruitment of ex-offenders, but they did not follow it.
                    Thank you.
                    When you see my paragraph above, you'll see what employers are like. Big companies often have policies like that. There are ways around it, for example, you could offer your services as a limited company so technically they wouldn't be employing YOU, but using the services of the company. Of course if your convictions are going to be spent in the next few months, then you should be fine by then.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X