• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

International Student picking best job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Student picking best job

Hello,

I'm an International (Outside EU) Student currently studying in the UK on a Tier-4 Student Visa. I am trying to apply to Graduate jobs here that will sponsor my Tier-2 Visa.

I have an offer from Company A, and I have signed the contract (replied by email saying I have read an accept with the contract attached as I was asked by them). The company is not bad, but their pay is quite low. I accepted since at that point I didn't know if I will get another job and having ANY job is better than no job.

I now have an offer from Company B which pays better and is overall somewhere I would prefer to work than Company A.

2 Questions:
    1. My main concern is that are there any legal implications or can anything horrible happen if I do tell Company A that I would be unable to start with them (i.e. not follow the contract I 'signed') and go ahead and work for Company B? They have NOT given me any bonus/salary or any payment and have NOT started applying for my Tier-2 Sponsorship Visa, and I will not be starting to work for them for another 11 months.
    2. Company A is a huge company, so would they put a 'bad remark' under my name if I do wish to work for them in the future? (Their Graduate salary is rigid but perhaps as an experienced hire I might get better wages)

I have googled loads but most advice is for locals, I'm scared Internationals might be different!

Any advice would be helpful ^_^ Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: International Student picking best job

Nobody can advice?

Comment

I would really appreciate a reply

Comment

Hello moltenice and welcome,
        As you will appreciate yours is a specific query and if no one on line at present can reply with a positive answer then am sorry but you will just have to hang fire, no one would want to give advice that was wrong or of no use.
        Enaid x

Comment

Hi and welcome, apologies for the oversight, I missed this one.

OK, I assume you have received a firm offer from Company B ? If you were to decline on Company A`s offer would you definitely have a position at Company B ?

If so, and you are 100% certain that Company B is more suited to you then as there is 11 months before you start with Company A there should not be too much problem.

Write to Company A, thanking them for their time and consideration and explain truthfully your reasons that you now wish to decline their offer. Legally yes you are bound by a contract, but unless they have already incurred any expenses they will appreciate your honesty and have plenty of time to offer candidate #2 the position instead. Be aware that should you again change your mind, if Company B remove their offer etc, then the chances of you missing out on both are certain.

I am not familiar with Student Visa sponsorship so my advise is limited, I am not sure if Company A will have made any financial or other commitments at this point, you should be better aware of this and let us know if this is the case.
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
            Hi and welcome, apologies for the oversight, I missed this one.

OK, I assume you have received a firm offer from Company B ? If you were to decline on Company A`s offer would you definitely have a position at Company B ?

If so, and you are 100% certain that Company B is more suited to you then as there is 11 months before you start with Company A there should not be too much problem.

Write to Company A, thanking them for their time and consideration and explain truthfully your reasons that you now wish to decline their offer. Legally yes you are bound by a contract, but unless they have already incurred any expenses they will appreciate your honesty and have plenty of time to offer candidate #2 the position instead. Be aware that should you again change your mind, if Company B remove their offer etc, then the chances of you missing out on both are certain.

I am not familiar with Student Visa sponsorship so my advise is limited, I am not sure if Company A will have made any financial or other commitments at this point, you should be better aware of this and let us know if this is the case.
            Thanks for your extremely useful reply! Yes indeed I have a FIRM offer from BOTH companies. I've already signed Company A's contract. B is going to send the contract soon. As per what you said if I just called them up, thanked them for the offer and truthfully tell them what the situation is since it is 11 months before it starts it should be ok. Do let me know if this is not correct.

I'm hoping the costs incurred that you mentioned doesn't include the costs they would have associated with my interviews etc.

Thanks once again for your reply! I am currently breathing a sigh of relief!

Comment

Hi,

Again I must stress that I cannot give you 100% accurate advice in this area as I am not familiar with Student Visa Sponsorship and the processes involved. As I say the best course of action is to contact them and explain the situation, ask them if you were to now to decline the offer what steps would follow and what are your liabilities. You can then use the reply if in future they do pursue you for costs.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X