• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

work manager hassle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work manager hassle

Hi...,

pls help as my wife is very stressed - writing in term of my wife's situation.

in brief...

- wife been working at current place 19 months
    - person hassling been working there 6 weeks
    - wife ethnicity is indian, and his also
    - wife is 36, he is 50 ish

1 - first day at work he corrected my wife in terms of prouncing his name. my wife was born in india, raised in dubai from a very young age. wife is educated at english grammer in dubai - with a masters degree....she has 14 years work experience - having worked at couple of medium size companies in dubai

the person in questiion - in his first few days of work - corrected my wife in the way she pronounces his name (wife has slight indian accent - but grammer is perfect)....such a common Indian name!!!... he is a manager at the company. my wife went along first few times then felt digusted by the way he was acting smart....and he made her correct his name in front of other workers 4-5 times (this with his changing his tone to show he not happy about it).....

surely not right?

2 - there was a case of him singling my wife out regards her work ethics....asking her how she supports him, and that she does not have skills as she doesnt even answer calls....lol.....funny as she not a receptionist!- totally daft considering the way she works and her departments that she works in etc...- not going in to detail as it would be long....

3 - he gave some work to wife to do, she poiletly said can you pls handle as i have plate full...he agreed - yet next day he proceeded with emailing wife and CC her direct manager regards the work.... considering he said he would handle. - in short, he lied

anyway these are the issues - wife has felt very upset and stressed as he has really signalled her out at work....she had sick not for 2 weeks due to stress.

we gave official letter regards the above.... there has been meeting - ie correct proceedures......

manager handling (who is wifes direct manager) - has kind of down played alll.....the guy in question apologised regards the name issue and thats all....considering he never even says hello or whatever in morning to wife... and suddenly he just comes says sorry.... and other issues the management seem to have covered oer with this and that.

totally unaaceptable....name things was big....my wife is 36....you dont question accents at thta age when you have known the person only 2-3 days....he no friend of my wife!!!

we are still waiting for the reply in writing....but my wife is very upset regards the replies she has been getting... totally not acceptable.

what to do??? thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: work manager hassle

What caste is your wife?

What caste is that so-called "manager"?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
      What caste is your wife?

What caste is that so-called "manager"?

Wife is Sindhi

Manager - Punjabi

Comment

That's a matter of region, not caste.

I'd guess the alleged manager was originally from the untouchable caste.

Comment

Sindhi is a caste from the sindh region?

regards the manager - from his surname can gather that he is punjabi

question - what are you trying to point at regards the caste and the issue? that he targeting her due to caste, being the only other indian in office etc?

Comment

I was trying to work out why he should apparently have sought to humiliate your wife and wondered if it could be that she is of a higher caste than he is/was.

Did his grandfather sweep roads or was his great grandfather a punkah-wallah? :grin:

Comment

do you feel the managers have just tried to brush it aside....as he just came over to her yesterday and said sorry for the mis-understanding..... but she and others truly believe that he has singled her out on other issues as well

Comment

HB10:

I suspect that the problem may be cultural, in that he has brought his attitude to women with him. As the only other Indian in the office, your wife is bearing the brunt of it.

A gentle word with one of the more intelligent senior managers might be a better way forward.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X