• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Holiday entitlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday entitlement

Hi

l work for a school and get 30 days paid holiday a year , every year when the school was shut in Christmas we would get those days off without booking holiday.
    But now they say we have use our holiday entitlement and book of 4 days when the school is closed.
    There is nothing in my contract about this , are they allowed to do this?
    Tags: None

Re: Holiday entitlement

Probably not, as it could mean a unilateral change in your contract.

Comment

No they can not, they would need to make an amendment to your contracted holiday entitlement to do so, and even then they would need your signature agreeing to such terms. Should they write to you advising of such, then simply write back stating you do not agree to such changes to your contract of employment and as a result they will not be able to force these changes on you. Also advise your employer, that they can not do this without making changes to your contract of employment and without your agreement to such changes.

They will likely say that holiday bookings and entitlement is down to policy, but its not, its down to whats stated in your contract.
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Details about paid holidays here: https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

You are getting more than the statutory time, an extra 2 days. The employer can stipulate some of the days that are taken.

But it all depends on what is in your contract. Bet it is not tied down tightly and leaves the employer a lot of lee way.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
          They will likely say that holiday bookings and entitlement is down to policy, but its not, its down to whats stated in your contract.
          Or not, as the case may be - but past practice may have set a precedent.

Comment

If the employer chooses to close the place of employment, as long as you are 'available for work' on those days, they are required to pay the contractual amount.

Have they given formal notice of this?
            If so, when?
            Last edited by charitynjw; 13th December 2013, 11:01:AM. Reason: Added a bit
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/15/made

Dates on which leave is taken

15. (1) A worker may take leave to which he is entitled under regulation 13(1) on such days as he may elect by giving notice to his employer in accordance with paragraph (3), subject to any requirement imposed on him by his employer under paragraph (2).

(2) A worker’s employer may require the worker—

(a) to take leave to which the worker is entitled under regulation 13(1); or

(b) not to take such leave,

on particular days, by giving notice to the worker in accordance with paragraph (3).

(3) A notice under paragraph (1) or (2)—

may relate to all or part of the leave to which a worker is entitled in a leave year;

(b) shall specify the days on which leave is or (as the case may be) is not to be taken and, where the leave on a particular day is to be in respect of only part of the day, its duration; and

(c) shall be given to the employer or, as the case may be, the worker before the relevant date.

(4) The relevant date, for the purposes of paragraph (3), is the date—

(a) in the case of a notice under paragraph (1) or (2)(a), twice as many days in advance of the earliest day specified in the notice as the number of days or part-days to which the notice relates, and

(b) in the case of a notice under paragraph (2)(b), as many days in advance of the earliest day so specified as the number of days or part-days to which the notice relates.

(5) Any right or obligation under paragraphs (1) to (4) may be varied or excluded by a relevant agreement.

(6) This regulation does not apply to a worker to whom Schedule 2 applies (workers employed in agriculture) except where, in the case of a worker partly employed in agriculture, a relevant agreement so provides.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Disgraceful.

The next thing will be women wanting the right to vote...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X