• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Question about Changes from CRB to DBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Changes from CRB to DBS

A few years ago I worked as a six form teacher; an allegation was made about me by a pupil which led to a period of suspension and an investigation by the school into the incident.

The allegation was not of a nature to get me added to list 99 or bared from working with vulnerable groups as it related to something offensive I was alleged to have said. However it could have, if proven factually correct, lead to a finding of misconduct and possible even dismissal. As I understand it the school did write to the police for guidance who wrote back sating that, as no crime had been committed, the matter should be investigated by the school internally and was not a matter for the police even if the allegation was proven to be true.
    I chose to resign partly due to the stress of it all and the school accepted my resignation and misconduct hearing never took place. I was not bared from working with children or other vulnerable groups.

I few years later I applied to do on a course to train as a mental health nurse. A CRB check was undertaken by the university as the course involved working with vulnerable groups on mental health wards. Nothing flashed up on the CRB and i was free to train as a nurse.I have now completed the course and will start applying for jobs on mental health wards, this will involve the wards undertaking a DBS check into my background. My question is...

Will any information be disclosed on the DBS that was not disclosed on the CRB? Thankyou.
    Tags: None

Re: Question about Changes from CRB to DBS

Sorry, but what is a DBS? I am familiar with what a CRB is.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

No only cautions, convictions and barrings will show up. Since June you can apply online yourself for a DBS check at a cost of £13 annually which in theory you should be able to show your new employer without them instigating a check

Comment

@Blue Bottle
        In 2012 the 'Criminal Records Bureau Check' changed to the 'Disclosure and Barring Service Check' I am told the two differ, but have heard contradictory information as to whether a DBS check will reveal things a CBS check did not.

@Kath07
        I was informed the Police could release any information held if they deem it to be relevant. This includes information such as a person resigning prior to misconduct proceedings.

Comment

Are you in England, Scotland or Wales? I am aware Scotland has different arrangements to England. A general enquiry with the DBS may provide you with the answer you are seeking.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Im in England

Comment

To add to a few posts above:

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) was formed from the merging of the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).

The whole system was recently changed to alter what is shown on a Certificate. Under the current system there is only a single Certificate issued to the applicant which will show all the information requested. Under the previous system (pre May 2013) the Registered Body that countersigned the application (that's what I do) may have received a slightly different copy of the information which included 'additional Police Information'. This information would not be sent to the applicant as divulging it may have revealed the source of that information. Under the old system there was also 'brown envelope' information whereby the Police would let the Registered Body know if they were currently investigating the applicant. Under the new system the Police can use their Common Law powers to release information to an employer if they choose however this is now unrelated to what the DBS do.

In relation to requesting a check upon yourself (@Kath07). It is still the case that you can not request an Enhanced or Standard Level check upon yourself. What you can now do when you next obtain a Disclosure Certificate is join the DBS Update Service for £13 per year. You need to do this within 14 days of your Disclosure Issue date and it allows you to re-use your Certificate IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES!! There is no requirement for your new employer to accept your Certificate and they would still need to run the normal ID Checks on you before they can check online that your Certificate is current. The Certificate you have now must match what your employer would normally request and they will need to see sight of it and checks it's authenticity.

Now back to the original question: Your previous employer may have referred your case to the Disclosure and Barring Service (or Independent Safeguarding Authority as it was known) at the time of the original accusation due to the fact that you left work without the misconduct proceedings being completed (they have a 'duty to refer' in this case). That is not to say that the DBS/ISA have barred you, as you would have received some notification from them if they were making a 'consideration for barring' and allowed to defend yourself against those accusations (where there is no auto-bar in place which occurs when an individual is convicted of certain offences). The reason they do this is to allow the DBS to build up a picture of re-offence e.g. if someone moves from role to role but resigns before the misconduct proceedings have been followed through, they could potentially have a history of harm. The DBS make the barring decision based upon information that they are provided as they have no investigatory powers, and can only review a case based on statements and reports provided by third parties e.g. the Police.

What next? - Well you can either obtain a Subject Access Report from your Local Police Force to see all the information they hold on you (but not DBS information), or you can apply for a Basic level Disclosure on yourself. The easiest way to do this is via Disclosure Scotland (they do Basics for England, Wales and Scotland). However if nothing was Disclosed on your Certificate issued during your training then it is unlikely that anything will be when you go for a job. If you are unsure then you will be the first person to find out as the Certificate will be sent to you and you alone. The idea being that then you take it to your employer and can present your case before they see it.

I hope this helps but for more information you can go to my company website www.ddc.uk.net

Comment

It is only issues directly relevant to the post for which you are applying which are of significance anyway. If there is something of which you are aware which could affect your suitability for the job (I'm not saying there is), then it should be disclosed as a matter of course.

I can sympathise with you re the suspension from teaching. It happened to me on the allegation of a 7 year old girl I'd told off, which resulted in an allegation of me hitting her over the head with a ruler. It was an horrendously stressful time, but fortunately easily dispelled on investigation as I wasn't even in the same section of the school at the time she alleged I'd hit her.

Comment

Sorry wrong thread to ask.
                  Last edited by smileyculture; 12th September 2013, 21:19:PM.

Comment

Would you care to elaborate?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X