• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

final written warning not recieved

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• final written warning not recieved

Hi there,

2 months ago my boss suspended me and after an investigation told me that I would recieve a final written warning. I was due to go on holiday the next day so he said he would sort the paperwork out later. 2 months on I have not recieved the paperwork and have had no written opportunity to appeal against the warning. Since this has happened my boss has tried to make my position within the company untenable by picking at every little thing that I do. I had previously had 4 years service with no issues and had in fact been given a pay rise last year after I handed in my notice after finding another job in order to make me stay.

I now just want to leave the company and make a new start but am worried that they will use my warning in a reference even though they have never given me the warning or a written opportunity to appeal.

Not sure what my right are here - should I seek out a warning from HR or is it their responsibility?

Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved so I can make plans for the future.

Many Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: final written warning not recieved

Hi mr.truck and welcome to LegalBeagles,,I'm sure one of the lovely people on here will be along to help you soon

Inca

Comment

Thanks Inca, any help would be very much appreciated. I thought that I had to be given the opportunity to appeal in writing and within a reasonable timeframe but I am not sure. Not sure if it matters but I have completed 20 shifts back at work since the disciplinary meeting and have spoken to my boss on several occasions. I feel he is trying to bully me out of the business and is trying to performance manage me to a higher level than my peers, and saying that if I don't achieve this higher level I will face further action.

I appreciate you taking time out to read through this.

Comment

Hi Mr Truck,

I am going to ask one of our members who is familiar with Employment Law to look in on this thread.

:bump:
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks bluebottle, sorry for writing so much for a first post, but this situation has shot my nerves to pieces. I have never been in trouble before and in fact have been regularly commended for my performance. I should also mention that I do not accept that the warning was a fair appraisal of my standards of work. It was found that I had followed all procedures given to me but that 'I had not managed others to a high enough standard', which is quite vague. There was an acceptance (or lack of any cohesive argument) to my point that every other manager worked in exactly the same way as me and I had just been unlucky.

Sorry - rambling again.

Many thanks for looking.

Comment

There is a piece of legislation called the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 which prohibits the harassment of a person, by another or others. In an employment situation, there is case law in the form of Majrowski -v- Guys and St Thomas's NHS Trust 2005 which means an employer is vicariously-liable for harassment committed against an employee by other employees or the employer itself. I have asked one of our members who is familiar with Employment Law to look in on this thread and advise on matters connected with the written warning and procedural matters under Employment Law. My background is in Criminal Law.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

first thing

it is very rare for an emplyer to give a bad reference. The only exception has to be for gross misconduct involving theft or violence. An employer has to be very carfeful with a reference or they will open themself up to a claim for defamation,

even when the bad reference is given it has to be factual

i have never known conduct code warnings be included in a reference. The normal is

you started work on xyy
              you were employed in the capacity of xyz
              your employment ceased on xyz
              you have had xyz number of days off in the last xyz months

CONSIDERING YOU NEVER SIGNED THE WRITTEN WARNING TO CONFIRM THE FINDINGS I VERY MUCH DOUBT A WARNING IS ON FILE ANYWAY AND EVEN IF IT IS, IT CANNOT BE USED AS YOU HAVE NOT ACKNOWLEDGED IT

just work any notice period and you will be fine

HR normally do the reference anyway, not your boss

Comment

Mr.Truck

Are you saying that your employer verbally told you you would get a final written warning purely as a result being disciplined for performance on the back of a performance review?

Can you give me a break down of everything that happened, that led to them giving you a final written warning.. well verbally telling you they would give you one please, as i need more details before i can accurately advise you.
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

me thinks no warning is on file,

the poster is looking to leave and start another job, i was thinking is it not better for him to work his notice and leave with a good reference rather than drag up old wounds

(damage limitation)

not to mention how long a grievance or appeal would take to be heard when the poster just wants to leave

just my opinion but value all comments

Comment

True, but if they have failed to follow correct deciplinary procedure, then there is a case of victimization and harassment, plus disciplinary outcome would be invalid, so any bad reference, would be deterimental giving MR.Truck further grounds to claim against the employer. Their maywell be a amicable solution to this issue, though that would mean going of the head of the manager in question.
                    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks for everyones help today, I have a much better understanding of what I need to do going forward. Any other opinions or thoughts would still be very welcome.

Many Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X