• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplined 3 weeks after they knew it happened

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplined 3 weeks after they knew it happened

I have been sacked for gross misconduct. I was only disciplined for this 3 weeks after they knew it happened? Can they do this?
    Tags: None

Re: Disciplined 3 weeks after they knew it happened

It depends whether what happens justified dismissal for gross misconduct. MOre information may be helpful.

Your dismissal can be 'wrongful' even if it is deemed 'unfair' - this is where the correct procedures have not been followed, but it was reasonable for the employer to dismiss you in all the circumstances.

Comment

Some more info

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ssal/DG_175834
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I drove on the tacograph for 30 minutes without the card in. It was a genuine mistake and they knew about it whilst I was doing it as they were on the phone to me when I told them. They are saying that it was a deliberate attempt to decieve and/or defraud and therefore gross misconduct. They did not start disciplinary procedures until 19 days later

Comment

Do You Not Have The Digital Tacho

In What Way Were They Saying You Were Deliberate Attempt At Deception

Comment

Are you a member of a trade union ?

Comment

Yes it was digital & no I am not a member of a trade union. I had taken a break which I did not tell them about when I had forgotten to insert the taco card and then drove for 35 mins without it in. I did however tell them that the card wasnt in. This is what they are saying is intent to decieve/defraud.

Comment

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance here, but why is forgetting to insert a tacho card such a heinous 'crime'?
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by gailmadras View Post
                  Yes it was digital & no I am not a member of a trade union. I had taken a break which I did not tell them about when I had forgotten to insert the taco card and then drove for 35 mins without it in. I did however tell them that the card wasnt in. This is what they are saying is intent to decieve/defraud.
                  http://downloads.tachomaster.net/doc...Tachograph.pdf

how come the card was out as you can put it down as rest break, point 1.4?

for others on here FAQ's worth a read as well. FAQ 5.5 is why they are saying it is gross misconduct.
                  "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                  (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I just want to know if they can start to discipline me 19 days afterwards. I thought that any investigation had to be done promptly?

Comment

The key words are 'without reasonable delay'.

I guess what is 'reasonable' will be decided on a case by case basis.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2177
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

It depends whether it is so bad a mistake as to justify being 'gross' misconduct and therefore dismissal, or whether some lesser sanction eg a written warning, might be adequate - enabling you to keep your job - especially if this was the first time it had happened.

If this is the case, you can if necessary apply to the Employment Tribunal for 'reinstatement' ie getting your old job back.

Comment

a tribunal cannot make an employer reinstate a dismissed employee, the only sanction for the employer would be an uplift on and compensation payment for unfair dismissal against the employee

was an informal fact finding meeting held first
                          were you at any time suspended
                          was then a formal disciplin meeting then held that decided your dismissal at a later date, after the informal meeting

Comment

Originally posted by gailmadras View Post
                            I just want to know if they can start to discipline me 19 days afterwards. I thought that any investigation had to be done promptly?
                            Yes is the answer. I would not call 19 days as being not prompt to be honest. Were you suspended prior to any investigation?
                            Were you advised that you could bring someone to any meeting?
                            Were you advised of the evidence that would be used in the disciplinary meeting?
                            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Why did you not make a printout of that day and just put your start time on the back with a signature.Would of solved your problems...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X