• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Left work of own accord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left work of own accord

Hi All,

My predicament is this,

I was employed by a member of my family in an office position which then became a labour position as time and need went on just over a 1yr.

The plan had originally been agreed for my brother who owns his company and has been successful to help me to start a company of my own as a Graphic Designer, whilst I helped with the office work for his company, this was made impossible by the number of hours that I was working for his company.

I left the employment today, as a heated discussion arose and I decided it was getting too close to becoming physical as it has done about 4 or 5 times in the past, granted as in most scenarios like this it was a mixture of both of us but my brothers very fiery temper would usually take things from verbal to physical.

On this occasion it was getting to close and as my brother had told me that we had been close to fighting the day before I decided to remove myself from the situation and said 'Im not going to do this! Im going' to this my Brother/Boss said if you go you don't come back, I stayed and tried to sort the problem but the tension didn't stop and the risk of it turning physical became higher so I decided to go.

I understood at the time that this meant that I would not be back. But I was

He has since Phoned me and told me that the Computer bought by the company, would be coming back, even though there was a verbal arrangement between ourselves that once I had completed some new brand designs and webpages then the computer would be mine and that Instead of paying by an hourly rate this would be covered by my not charging him for the time spent.

I spent numerous hours working on the brand logo and website and he has used them and still does. The hours must be in excess of 60 to 100 hours maybe even double including other project that I have done with no charge since.

The desktop computer was purchased at £2000 a little under one year ago and has been in my possession since it was purchased.

Any information as to where I stand in both of these situations would be appreciated.

What are my legal obligations and what are his?

Many Thanks

MH

Ps I have also posted this on ukbusinessforums I don't want people thinking I'm spamming just want a good idea of the general consensus
    Tags: None

Re: Left work of own accord

Did you have a written contract?

Comment

unfortunately not only verbal as I was supposed to have been creating contracts for all of the workforce, but was never given the time to schedule them in amongst other "More important" jobs until it got to the point they were just forgotten.

Comment

This may help?

Employment contracts : Directgov - Employment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X