• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redundancy

my husband works for a building firm. They have recently made 2 people redundant and my husband may be another casualty soon along with 2 others.
    he is having a bad problem accepting this and so do the first 2 who have been given 12wks notice.
    the said people above have worked for the firm for over 10yrs. attendance great and overtime exceptional apparently and that was said from managin director but decisions where based on other factors apparently.
    in the last year, 3 family members of a managing director have been brought in to company as a buyer, a receptionist and a joiner.
    the people who are being made redundant have put in an appeal against this decision because they feel the family members should go because their jobs where basically made up to give them a job because all the jobs they do where done by others before these family members came into the firm.
    The union have apparently asked the firm to give them details for the scoring sheets or soemthing like that to find out why they came to the decisions they did because this has caused a few raised eye brows now.

is there a set way to decide on redundancys and is it not the last people in who should leave first?
    my hubbys employers were in bother 7yrs ago when they made someone redundant and kept on a family member who only started 6 mths previous to redundancy so they were made ot pay for that mistake and my hubby thinks its happening again.
    can tehy do this wen thier family members should be first to leave?
    Tags: None

Re: redundancy

Don't know all the answers, but I do know that redundancy does not have to be on a "last in, first out" basis. Which is where the scoring sheets come in. Also, it's not the person that's made redundant, it's the job. As in, they can't say that job no longer exists then give the same job to someone else to do.

There is a lot of info on this site, you might find some answers here Redundancy and leaving your job : Directgov - Employment
    Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X