• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Change in hours/rota, disgraceful employer behavior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in hours/rota, disgraceful employer behavior

Some background.

My OH has been employed on a continuous basis, though with different owners, in a national chain of shops for over 12 years. She works 30 hours as a supervisor, and has always followed a shift pattern, sometimes working extra hours to cover sickness/holidays etc. Or if a colleague needed a particular day off.

She works mostly anti-social hours, but does work 8 day hours on Monday.

She was summoned with no prior notice to a meeting with her branch manager and area manager who told her that due to the financial situation they were having to reduce hours and that she should lose three hours. She was also told that her new rota would involve losing the Monday hours and working the hours from 6am on Sunday morning. She already works late night Friday and all day Saturday.

She felt intimidated at the meeting, and was the only person at her branch to have a meeting with the branch and area manager. She was asked to get back to her branch manager, which she did, in writing, on the next day. She did clarify that she was being asked to do these things, not told.

She responded by letter directly refusing to work the early morning, and refusing to give up the Monday day hours. She also said that they could only reduce her contracted hours with her consent, and she would be willing to give her consent to losing one hour per day from her Tuesday, Friday and Saturday hours.

She asked her branch manager about the letter and was told it was being dealt with by the area manager. The letter was totally ignored and she received a letter from the area manager inviting her to a meeting to find a way forward.

She replied stating that as no written correspondence had been received, she would not attend the meeting. She also raised other points in the letter.

She received a reply from the company’s HR consultants, pp’d by her area manager, disingenuously answering two of three direct questions posed, not acknowledging in any way her previous correspondence, and inviting her to yet another meeting, on a date when she had pre-booked holiday.

She wrote back again, restating her position and saying that she could not attend as she was on pre-arranged leave and again asking for a substantive response to her previous letters.

Today we receive another letter with no content other than an invitation to a further meeting.

Are the company obliged to reply in writing? Is there any employment law which says they should?

My wife thinks we should accept the offer of going to a meeting, but in listening mode only, my inclination is to raise a formal grievance about the area manager based upon his disgraceful and disrespectful treatment of a long standing employee.

We have been through a lot recently, and could do with getting this settled.

Can anyone suggest what our next actions could be.

Thanks

vdr
    Last edited by volvodriver; 5th August 2010, 14:23:PM.

Re: Change in hours/rota, disgraceful employer behavior

No employment law compels them to respond in writing, however good practise is to follow up with written details of points discussed at meetings.

Comment

Thank you

Have now raised a formal grievance.

Comment

Hi volvodriver and welcome to beagles.
        I am not in exactly the same situation as your wife but I am being treated very unfairly by my manager and as far as I can see backed by the company.
        I too have raised a formal grievence and had a meeting, I was asked at the meeting on several occasions did I want to resign (this was because I had spoken to ACAS and they mentioned Constructive Dismissal, if I was going to go with this I have first off to resign). I was unsure about what to do as to be honest I was a bit taken aback at the meeting as I thought it would be fair and indeed it was not.
        I am now offered no working hours at all, these are being covered by other staff members some that have only be taken on the same week as the new manageress started.
        I am going to a meeting with CAB on Thursday, this is to start the ball rolling for Unlawful Deduction of Wages, which will then be followed by Constructive Dismissal, so I will lose my job. I will be working with CAB to have a tribunal hopefully and an outcome that is on my side.
        You will have to read your contract and any other information re procedure and rules, to see if they can actually do what they are planning.
        I really hope you get this sorted as they will only have a short time with which to respond to your formal grievence complaint and this also should be in the rules and procedure information on how they work it.
        Good Luck and I will let you know if I find anything concrete that will be of use to you.
        Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X