• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pay Dispute/constructive dismissal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Dispute/constructive dismissal

Hello, I need some guidance/advice please,

I am employed as a maintenance person and provide my own tools to carry out my duties etc. My employer is paying £12 per hour, which i consider to be below the current minimum wage bearing in mind I provide my own equipment. No other employee has to provide tools etc. I have approached my employer over a month ago about this and they have now said they will provide the tools needed, but no increase to the hourly rate. As yet NO tools have been forthcoming. I have also contacted my employers HR dept and had no reply/acknowledgement after 2 weeks.

What or where do i go from here?
    Any help or advice, greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

How long have you been in this employment?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Can I ask did your employer ask you to provide your own tools?

If so how long have you been doing this for i.e. since you started your employment or more recently?
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
        Can I ask did your employer ask you to provide your own tools?

If so how long have you been doing this for i.e. since you started your employment or more recently?
        The short answer is yes and five years

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          How long have you been in this employment?
          5 Years

Comment

Why has it taken you 5 years to raise this with HR?

Not sure how you originally contacted HR but if it was not in writing, then I suggest you make the request in writing confirming this is following on from your verbal discussion on xxx date. If you made it in writing then forward the email and asking for a response as it has been two weeks. See where that gets you in the first instance.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
              Why has it taken you 5 years to raise this with HR?

Not sure how you originally contacted HR but if it was not in writing, then I suggest you make the request in writing confirming this is following on from your verbal discussion on xxx date. If you made it in writing then forward the email and asking for a response as it has been two weeks. See where that gets you in the first instance.
              Originally employment started on the basis of me providing/using my own tools in return for a higher hourly rate etc. After a year the business was sold. I was retained by the new owners and subject to a TUPE agreement. The basis of employment has been the same since ie a higher hourly rate me providing my own equipment etc. Now with the hourly rate being paid only 56p above new minimum wage and my hours averaging 16 hours a week, I then raised this issue with management and two weeks ago with HR. This was both in writing as well as verbally with the premises management. There stance so far is, they will now provide tools etc.

Comment

Thank you for the further information which is very helpful.

Then as per the end of my last post #6 forward the email you originally sent and asking for a response as it has been two weeks and you have heard nothing back as to when you will be receiving the necessary tools for you to do your job.

If this approach does not work then you may need to raise a grievance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X