• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer trying to force IHR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer trying to force IHR

Hi,

I have a colleague who has been off sick for a few months and is awaiting surgery, been assessed by OH as not being able to continue in his role pending surgery.
    He receives calls from management and in my view is being harrased to taking IRH and also been told he may have no choice in the matter so they are Trying to force him out.
    Can employer do this, ie disregard OH report?

Thanks
    Tags: None

what is IHR? Or is it IRH?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I assume the OP means Ill Health Retirement, but it would be helpful if they could clarify.

I don't know what sector the OP and their colleague work in, but from my experience as a former NHS manager in order to get IHR you need to be so ill that there is no future prospect of you being able to do any work at all. Simply being unable to work pending surgery wouldn't qualify on its own

But it all depends on the T&Cs of whatever scheme the OP's friend falls under.

(If this is private sector employment I have no idea)

[edit: plus the OP seems to be deep into their own employment problems regardless of their colleague. See other thread...]
      Last edited by Manxman; 28th March 2024, 15:15:PM.

Comment

Hi,

Yes I'll health retirement, it's a private company.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,
          Apologies, yes I do have ongoing issues, sorry if I shouldn't have asked.

Thanks

Comment

No one is saying you should not have asked. It was just the TLA* that we queried.

*Three Letter Acronym
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

OK Thanks

Comment

An OH assessment that says your friend is not fit to work pending surgery does not mean that after and following recovery, they should not be able to return to work.

Even if it is a private company, there will need to be medical evidence for any consideration of IHR.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

OK thanks will let him know.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X