• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Is this becoming untenable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this becoming untenable?

Hello, long story which I will abbreviate

employed with a firm for 25 years, my role is that of fee income earner. I generate 2/3 of income. I exceed target which in theory 2/3 of company profit derives from. If I stuck to target, company would only have a tiny profit

a few years ago I was given a loose title of Ops Director, though I am not a company director. There was 2 directors, 1 owner (100%) who was MD and the other was just a director on paper only. Owner did what he wanted.

Anyway, owner died a year ago leaving sole director to run business.we discover his son (heir) has been on the payroll years, frustrating as we have always been understaffed.

the director relies on me heavily to an extent where my fee income and personal income has reduced considerably (down 70k in personal earnings). To be honest, me being MD would be a more effective option, but can’t do much

anyway, new owner is going to be the 25 year old son. Never done a days work in his life. Lives abroad etc etc.

6 months ago the director and I proposed we be given a share of the company each (70% to him and 30-% share between us). We would run the company and he will get a dividend for doing nothing. What kid would turn down no hassle and £300k a year.

However, 6 months later, still no straight answer. Passing comment at last meeting was he didn’t know if he wanted to keep the firm.

I feel stupid now having sacrificed my earnings for the good of the company (company has improved drastically over the last year). The company as an entity I feel is responsible for my lower earnings, due to the fact that it’s put upon me additional tasks and drained the time I have available to earn fee income.

Now we have been messed around with by the future heir, avoiding our emails where possible. Surely it’s wise business sense to shore up your top employees, not leave them dangling and uncertain). Probate now granted so he has to show his hand soon.

However, the past year has taken its toll on me mentally and financially. After so long with the firm, genuinely caring for it and our clients, I feel the executors, which the kid is one, have let us all down. We have engaged with the kid because he’s the future owner and executor but no other executors or even the kid has proactively been in touch to show any interest.

even in the will (copy obtained), the company doesn’t get a mention. He left £15k to a woman who was sleeping with someone else behind his back (they weren’t dating when he wrote the will). Yet nothing in the will to cater for the company or any succession. I believe he knew he was dying. He nearly died 12 years beforehand and we have carried him and doubled the firm’s value since then.

Therefore, I do feel i am going to be forced to resign. The stress put upon me, the uncertainty etc and dealing with a 25 year old posh kid who frankly doesn’t care for the staff, it’s just awful.

any legal views here?

Tags: None

I am struggling to see a legal perspective here. If you think that your position is untenable, then your choice is clear.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Was considering whether the company has forced me into lesser earnings due to poor planning in their part. Too many demands etc. also, the way the new owner is handling this business leaves no trust. Business is highly regulated

Comment

Who was considering this?

I still cannot see a legal remedy that you can pursue.

An untenable position is one to move on from.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

In respect of the deceased owner there is nothing you can do about the wishes he set out in his Will and the fact there was no contingency for the business in the event of his death.

My first question has to be what is your employment status with the firm?

You do not appear to be a company director or shareholder so I am guessing you are on an employment contract and is this on a salary structure that gives you a base income and then a variable element? If so what is the variable based on e.g. commission, % of profit?
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X