• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Coaching & Councelling leads to a disciplinary action??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching & Councelling leads to a disciplinary action??

Manager has mentioned she's going to hand out COACHING & COUNCELLING (C&C) slips / papers.

Says I'm not working fast enough. But the problem is the excessive work load causes delays.

1. Can she give me a C&C slip if she has never documented my performance and has never sat in on my work? She can't do the actually do the job herself but has never brought someone in to observe me either.

2. Can I refuse to accept a C & C if there is not documented trail showing that there has been discussion on finding a solution to the delays before the decision was taken to issue a C & C?

Those are my question. UK LAW

FULL SITUATION IF YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION:

I don't want to reveal my occupation so I'm going to pretend to be a brain surgeon just to describe the scenario for which I need advice.

Manager is not herself a brain surgeon but manages me another surgeon daily.

The greater the number of brain surgeries carried out, the more money the business makes.

So theres pressure to work fast ... 30 minutes per surgery. Sometimes we run behind and sometimes not.

There is a diary of pre-booked patients. But many do not show up, so the diary is booked with extra patients to make up for the no-shows.

Other walk-in patients who want surgery are also taken in during the day.

Sometimes everyone shows up and there will inevitably be delays because we can't carry out surgery simultaneously.

So patients complain about delays.

The manager complains to the surgeons for surgery time delays. BUT surgeries are not delayed excessively if at all.

The problem is the over booking means people will be delayed so will complain. Problem is clinic management.
    Tags: None

Tagging ULA
    ​​​​​​
    I'm not sure what C&C slips are, could you explain please. It sounds like some sort of internal support and training procedure that is intended to improve performance. If so I would think your manager could use it whenever they feel it appropriate. And you would have the opportunity to raise all the points you posted here during the C&C session.

Are you in a union?

Does your employer have formal policies about use of C&C?
    Last edited by PallasAthena; 21st January 2024, 10:42:AM.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Oher than the questions asked by PallasAthena which would need answering before I can comment, another useful document for you to review is the company disciplinary policy. Within that is there any reference to C&C slips and is so what?

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

If you could explain the purpose of a coaching and counselling slip/paper, and what happens when you get one it would help everyone understand what's going on a bit better. Also, are they being handed out to all brain surgeons or just yourself?

From what you've explained above the booking system you have sounds like a bit of a lottery and challenging with the added pressure of unbooked visits to deal with. If your manager has never taken the time to sit in on your work, how do they know that your pace is at fault? Maybe you should suggest they do as a way of understanding what the problem could be (I'd do it in an email to start documenting things).

Comment

Hello, sorry for the late reply. Been stressing over this and chatting to people how to play it when I meet the manager.

Answer to your question: from what I've read on the Internet and my own feelings is that its a precursor to a formal discipline.
          So if I'm told I need coaching and counselling, I assume she'll give me that in writing ... that's what I mean by SLIP

Also let me tell you all shes a compulsive liar. Makes up stories and denies things that's shes done etc.

HERE'S HOW MY MEETING WILL GO WITH HER (in my mind).

Scenario 1

Manager: I would like to talk to you.

Me: Is this related the coaching counselling that you mentioned will be happening this week?

Manager: Yes, it's about surgery delays

Me: Then I want it to be known that this meeting will be recorded. I do not wish to proceed this meeting if it related to a C & C unless I have my professional body union representative present or my employment solicitor.
          However, if you wish to discuss how to improve the patient journey so they are not delayed then I'm happy to do so but this discussion is to be informal an unrelated to a C & C

RESPONSE 1 FROM Manager: Ahhhhh. I'm telling XYZ that you're refusing C&C

Me: I will be sending an email to HR detailing the conversation we have had today

RESPONSE 2 FROM MANAGER:
          Okay let's just have an informal chat.
          No recording.

Me: OK. Let me say that there are delays in the patient journey that I believe is caused by many patients arriving at the same time or extras being added in. I can see this with my eyes.
          You have never sat in on my surgery so how can you say I'm slow.
          I would like you to sit in my surgery and tell me where I'm slow.

Manager: I'm unqualified

Me: So how can an unqualified person comment on the speed of my surgery?

Manager: But Dr George Clooney does surgery faster than you.

Me: Have you ever sat in on his surgery? Can you show me where he's faster than me and help me learn?

Manager: I'm bringing in someone from Head Office to watch you

Action by me: Report everything to HR to document

[A bit long post ... sorry]

Comment

So depressing. I know my job. Just hate working under threat all the time. I want to enjoy my trade. But the manager is making the situation unbearable.
            Do not want to leave because I shouldn't need to.
            [I know you didn't want to hear that and can't help with mental health but just needed to say that].

Comment

In your scenario 1 imaginary conversation I would advise you not to insist on a union rep or solicitor being present. You are not legally entitled to have either of those people present at an internal training/support/performance discussion meeting. Not unless your employer has a policy allowing them to accompany you but it is extremely unlikely that their policy allows that.

So refusing to attend the C&C meeting unaccompanied probably would be a disciplinary offence.

Does this mean you are in a union? Have you discussed the issue with your union rep?
              Last edited by PallasAthena; 22nd January 2024, 10:04:AM.
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

So, C&C is sounding like what I've experienced as a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP). Used correctly these are supposed to help an individual within their role by highlighting areas that are in need of improvement, and helping them through mentoring from a designated coach. But the problem I've found with them is that they are usually used by managers as a failsafe to cover themselves when things aren't going great. In my experience pushing back against these things usually doesn't go well, it's something that is more than likely going to happen whether you're on board or not. Try and think about how you're going to get ahead of it.

But remember to try and document as much as you can. Emails are a very underrated tool, and will be good evidence if things don't go smoothly for you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X