• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Forced to attend unpaid meetings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to attend unpaid meetings

Hello, my work shift starts at 9 am but I am told to arrive at 8.50 am, 5 days per week to for a morning brief. Here the manager talks about targets, expectations etc.

Manager threatens issuing lateness warnings for those not on time. Then I suppose manager will take action for repeated lateness such as giving the sack ... otherwise what's the point of issuing late slips.

Anyway, my question is : Because I'm not being paid to attend morning briefs, do I even have to attend? Do I even have to switch on a computer until 9 am if I don't want to? Can manager really say that someone is late when attending, effectively out of goodwill, because the person is not being paid.

NOTE: in the employment handbook (don't know if that's the same as the contract) it says staff should attend 10 minutes before the shift start time to set up the computers etc.

UK LAW

Thanks
    Tags: None

ULA is the expert on this and I expect wil comment soon but on the meantime to answer one question about the employment handbook. Typically contracts of employment deem employee handbooks and the like to be part of your contract of employment.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I agree your contract sets out the main contractual terms of your employment with the company and then the handbook sets out the policies and procedures relating to your employment.

If there is a policy requiring staff to be at work 10 mins before the start of their shift to prepare and actually commence work at 9am then the company can enforce that.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks

But should I be expected to sit through a morning brief? That's work isn't it and should be paid?

Just showing up 10 min early is not actual work

Comment

The 10 minute briefing is made part of your hours so is covered by your pay if you are paid a fixed salary. If paid by the hour raise a grievance that you are not being paid for it.

Being briefed on work-related issues is work.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
            The 10 minute briefing is made part of your hours so is covered by your pay if you are paid a fixed salary. If paid by the hour raise a grievance that you are not being paid for it.

Being briefed on work-related issues is work.
            I am on a fixed salary from 9 am - 5.30 pm in the morning. I'm not paid per hour because I'm expected to do a full shift.

Being asked to arrive 10 mins early at 8.50 am I understand now, that this is part of the contract because its stated in the handbook.

BUT to have to sit through a morning brief about sales targets etc. is WORK so should be paid or given as time in lieu. Is that right?

Thanks

Comment

In my opinion you are required to start work at 8.50am and the pay for this is include within your annual salary. You are not entitled to extra pay.

You could raise a Grievance about it but personally I wouldn't do that unless other employees were willing to raise it collectively.
              ​​​​

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X