• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Off sick on long term...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off sick on long term...

I am currently signed off with with stress and I'm on anti depressants due to mainly home related issues that have caused my health to go downhill.

My employer is pushing for face to face meetings on a regular basis, which I've been to once. I rejected the last meeting as I wasn't feeling good, the medication makes me drowsy and dizzy and it states that I shouldn't drive or use machinery.. Etc.

There is a policy that says face to face meetings are required when off sick long term.

They have been coming to my home a few times last week to hand deliver letters and once, my other half answered and told them I'm not available., they've since withheld my pay and pulled out a policy that states you cannot leave your home unless for medical reasons without consent of your manager.

My doctor has already advised me to get out as much as possible.

How can an employer enforce such a policy on me with my current condition?

And secondly, what are the implications if I am unable to attend the next face to face meeting? I now have 2 issues.. One being feeling unwell to attend such meetings and the other being unable to drive safely a 50 mile round trip.
    Tags: None

I can't comment on the law but your employer's policy on not leaving the home doesn't sound right to me.

If your GP signs you off sick they are only certifying that you are too ill to carry out your normal occupation. Not that you are too ill to leave the house or do the shopping or whatever.

And as you point out when someone is suffering from stress and depression it's commonplace for the medcal advice to be to get out of the house as often as possible and exercise in the open air, walking etc. So even if the employer's policy were enforceable you would be complying with it as you would be going out for a medical reason.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X