• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Paid less per hour as part time worker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid less per hour as part time worker?

Hi

I worked in a family owned factory for 5 years

For the first year, perhaps two I was on Zero Hours, which suited us both but then I was put on contacted hours as sorting holiday pay was too much of a problem.

Though out my employment I was paid NMW up until December 2022. When I had a fall in work and could no longer work - nerve damage to arm - blah blah

8 months on Im back in employment after lots of physio etc - different company, I couldn't go back to that sort of work

I do have a claim in for the injury - for which I have witness statements etc - insurance company and the NHS are taking their time

Anyways my question is, In November 2022 a colleague let slip he was on a pound or more an hour than me, as were everyone else.

So of course I questioned it, we all done the same work, and I got told he was winding me up and I was an idiot for believing it. That only the supervisor got paid more

Now this guy has left, as have I, and he tells me he was told to pass it off as a wind up. That the truth was, when he left last month he was on £11.92 and if I had still been there I would still have been on £10.42 - doing the same job, only I was part time - he full time. Even the guys who came in after me, having less skills were paid more then me

I was the only part time worker there, on the payroll for 24hrs whilst everyone else was 40hrs

Am I right in believing I have been treated as less for being part time and it was illegal?

Many thanks for reading and if you can, replying
    Tags: None

As a part-time worker you should have been treated less favourably than full time colleagues, however you are unfortunately out of time to make an employment tribunal claim
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
      As a part-time worker you should have been treated less favourably than full time colleagues, however you are unfortunately out of time to make an employment tribunal claim
      Would that be the case if it was only confirmed today that this was the case? Before it was just hearsay and gossip

Im not sure actually what I want to do, Im just so upset that I worked my socks off there, went in weekends, 10 /14 hr days and to find this out is just so upsetting

Comment

I suggest you maybe double check with ACAS - their contact number is 0300 1231100 as to whether you would be out of time. My concern though is that they may say you were aware of the possibility of u fair treatment as a part-time worker this whilst you were employed and di not pursue this at the time.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

No I never thought until that moment that anyone other then the supervisor was on anymore then myself. Then when I queried it with the supervisor she said it was just the guys winding me up , leg pulling. And tbh that was the sort of place it was, leg pulling and teasing all day long

Thank you for your help. I will give ACAS a ring

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X