• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pro rata issue - 4 month contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro rata issue - 4 month contract

Hi All,

I was given a 4 month contract which started on 4 Sep 2023. I am on their books and being paid PAYE.

I have just received my payslip and they have pro rated this as I didn't work on 1 Sep 2023 (agree they should pro rata it)

Their calculation is

ANN SALARY/260 * 20 = Sep gross salary

260 = working days in a year
    20 = days worked in Sep

All the advice I have read is this should be calculated on

Annual salary / full-time hours x actual work hours

This gives a larger gross salary for this month

Also in my contract I am not expected to work for 260 days as this is only a 4 month contract so calculating this on a yearly basis seems to me unfair/an attempt to pull the wool over my eyes

Can anyone advise on this please

Thanks
    Phil
    Tags: None

What does your contract say about calculation of pay, if anything?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

5.17 If the Employee is full time the Employee’s year shall be taken to be 260 working days, if part time this shall be reduced pro rata according to the number of days or half days per week the Employee works.
      >
      Am I classed as full time despite them only offering me a 4 month contract which has no possibility of being extended?

Comment

In those 4 months, do you work full time?

The provisions you cite undermine your argument.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

37.5 hours a week

Comment

Don't have a leg to stand on cos of that clause do I? Only just seen it

Comment

Yes unfortunately you are full time as 37.5 hours a week is full time it is just that the contract you are on is fixed at 4 months.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X