• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Grievance advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grievance advice

Hello,

I'll try and keep this as brief but informative as possible. If anyone could shed any light on a few of these questions etc it'll be of massive help

Quick summary - I am a field service engineer of 7 years with a large company. I have recently discovered that engineers baring the same work load, skill set and exact day to day contracts are being paid up to £6,000 more annually than myself, whilst most of these engineers do have a time served on the company ranging from 15-20 years I struggle to get my head around this. The double edged sword on this is that recently 2 engineers still under going training and coaching have had their salaries made up to mirror my own whilst carrying out menial tasks and mainly still shadowing the lead engineers like myself. I have put a grievance in after my FLM has claimed he does not issue the pay rises so he cant help. What are my chances at a grievance hearing as I am worried from what I've found online they often dont go in favour of the employees?

I have also been told I am not allowed to discuss my own or anyone elses salary, Please note i have never forced them to answer but merely dug around a little to see what ball park other people are paid. Is this even enforceable if the work force is ok to be open about our wages?

And lastly, Im currently self certifying myself time off work during this time due to the stress of all of it, including treatment by the company and dealing with my first time trying to organise my defence at a grievance hearing - My FLM has replied claiming that the company will not go ahead with a hearing until I deem myself fit to come back to work and carry on as normal. Which slightly feels like blackmail as I am perfectly fine with a grievance hearing whilst im off (my company will carry out hearing via video call such as microsoft teams)

Thank you for any advice big or small you can give

Thanks Z
    Tags: None

Unfortunately I cannot advise on your chances of your grievance in respect of your salary going in your favour. There will be two factors that determine this, how you present your case at the hearing and the view of the person chairing the grievance.

Company's do try to stop employees sharing salary information and many cover this off in policies/staff handbook, so you need to check if the company you work for has one in place. However if there is nothing in place then this is difficult to enforce.

How long have you been off work as you state you are self-certifying? You are likely to have a company sickness policy that will require you to provide a Fitness for Work (FfW) certificate from your GP after certain period of time, typically this is 7 days.

In respect of the grievance meeting, you state you are off with stress, which means that your employer has a duty of care and whilst you are self certified they only have your reason for being off sick not what has been determined by a GP on a FfW certificate. Although they will not want to delay a grievance meeting indefinitely they may well be waiting to arrange until they know you are returning or they have a better understanding from a FfW certificate as to a medical opinion and when you may return to work.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X