• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Discrimination claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination claim

I am attempting to assist a friend with disability discrimination. They are currently on long term sick leave.

They filed a grievance which having heard nothing for over 9 weeks has now come back with some small points partially upheld but the discrimination/ harassment aspects either not addressed at all or denied.
    We notified Acas two weeks after the grievance letter (due to the time limit for claims) and we have now received the certificate.
    The claimant is considering resigning and adding constructive dismissal to the claim.
    I would appreciate it if someone could advise on the following:

If they do resign, can we add constructive dismissal to the ET1 form which has not been submitted yet or does a new Acas notification needs to take place?

The company is defending the manager that subjected the claimant to the harassment which for example included mocking him for taking antidepressants and saying they won't help him, stating he behaved within company policy.
    Is it unwise to resign before appealing the grievance considering the above? Bearing in mind we need to submit the ET1 form within the next week?
    The claimant really wants to resign at this point as he considers his employment over anyway but is there any benefit in remaining employed while the claim goes to court?

Also, with regards to the claims timescales, does each type of discrimination need to fall within the 3 month less 1 day timescale ie. the harassment aspect and discrimination arising from a disability, It has been continuing acts of discrimination some were arising from disability and some harassment. So with regards to the 'last act' does both these discrimination types have to be in the last act to bring both these claims or does it all fall under discrimination?

Any advise offered would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: None

My understanding is that if your friend resigned and then claimed constructive unfair dismissal then this would have to be a new claim for which Early Conciliation would need to happen. It may be that once you have the certificate for this then you can apply to the Tribunal to "join" the two claims into one claim. May be an idea to clarify with ACAS.

With regard to the last part of your post, discrimination cannot be due to harassment, you can however suffer harassment as a result of a disability. Normally the time limits run from the last act of discrimination
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X