• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Ergonomic Injury (Tennis Elbow, both arms). Car factory, lifting large part.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ergonomic Injury (Tennis Elbow, both arms). Car factory, lifting large part.

Hi all.

I work for a well known vehicle manufacturer. In April 2021, we moved bodyshops. I was placed on a zone where we assemble the rear quarters for the vehicles, we currently place them on large dollies. When I firth came onto the zone, we were using what they call dragons, which were smaller, easier to use. Recently, I have been diagnosed with tennis elbow in both arms, which I believe is caused by my job. I am 5'5 1/2 inches. the quarters are quite large as they are for an SUV. Size and weight will follow as I need to measure and weigh the parts/ dolly when no one can see. I have to take the quarter from a jig, exit the cell, raise the quarter above my head, placing it on another jig which enables me to spin the part around, 180 degrees. I this pick the quarter back up, lowering it to me chest, walk five or six feet to the dolly. I then have to raise the quarter with my arms above shoulder hight, walk half way into the dolly then reach full arms length to place the quarter on to the dolly. ts the first to to three which is hard to reach as the cutout at the bottom of the dolly allows me to walk in half way. I checked the wes/qps book, which shows the process for the whole cycle, (from start of procedure to finish before repeating the process over again. Time of injury 30 and hour (3 dolly's), which has now been increased to 35 per hour). I noticed the safety section which shows manual handling procedures. This was implemented in 2021 when we were using the smaller dragons. I queried this with my company, where I was informed that ergonomic tests were carried out ever 12 months, the last being Nov 2022, the job is fine. Its my belief that I should not be expected to lift above shoulder level, leaning forward with arms extended fully. My company are well known for covering thigs up. Although they maybe able to doctor the books, they cannot change the size/ weight of the part as its fully measured for the vehicle. The dolly would take time and money.

I am challenging procedures as I have been informed by the Group Leader, (not in a nice way), I will be assessed by Occupational Health where I will be found unfit for the zone, I will then have to enter the company's restriction programme. this is normally offered three jobs, each one worse than the last then you are out the door as the company cannot accommodate you. Its designed to get you out the company if they dont want you. The Union said there are no jobs in the bodyshop, so I will be moved to Trim and final. This is untrue, there are agency on jobs which I challenged. The union said there is a new rule, core workers can no longer bump agency off their jobs (this debunks service which has always been a part of the way things have been done.) This makes me think they want me out.There are no suitable jobs in trim,I will find myself out the door.

The company negligent, for when the union places me on the job, they never took into consideration that I have Osteoporosis/ Stenosis of the spine, with disc bulges/ disc infusions. This is on my medical record which the Union says they had no access to because of the GDPR18 regulations. The Union and managers are fully aware of my condition. I have always got on with what ever job they have given me as I dont want to cause trouble. The only reason its on my medical record is in 2016 I collapsed at work, so they sent me to Hospital The Hospital scanned my back and made the diagnoses.

I believe they will use this to get me out the company. Is there anything I can do. The managers, Union and occupation health all work together against the operatives. Occupational health are due to assess the job of Thursday. Health and Safety said there is nothing to asses as the part passed the ergonomics test. No one has ever spoken to the operators, nor have they taken my ailments into consideration. I believe, but cannot prove the job was signed off from an armchair, not even assessed.

I have included two pictures. The first shows the dolly (no cutout so pallet was retuned), the second shows the part on the dolly. to give you an idea of the size, my nose comes to the bottom, middle of the part above the pointy bit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scrumpy11; 4th March 2023, 08:53:AM.
    Tags: None

You can see the dolly better in this photo. You can see how far I would have to reach from the end of the cut out at bottom of pallet to the end of the dolly where first few parts go.
    Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X