• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Role regrading advice / issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Role regrading advice / issue

Hi there

About four years ago I was moved onto a new project with more responsibility and I wrote out a job description for the work. I asked for my new role to be regarded which it was and they then told me that my role could not be regraded as it was of a similar nature to my previous post. On the encouragement of a colleague about a year ago based on the work I had done she suggested that I should ask the role to be regraded again.

I was able to provide a more detailed job description because I had been doing the work and also because additional responsibilities came up that I was not aware of when I started. Subsequently my role was regraded. I then asked HR if my salary could be back dated to when I put in my first regrading request. They came back and said no. I am on a salary scale which goes up a point every year so I have lost quite a lot of money if I had been regraded originally. Is there anything I can do here? I feel it is unfair as I have been doing the same job but they only decided to regrade me when I could provide evidence of my role in more detail.

many thanks for any advice.
    Tags: None

George74 I have deleted your duplicate thread to avoid confusion.

Firstly, does the organisation you work for have a salary banding to go with the grading structure? If so, often these have min/max ranges that cross over between bands, where was the job placed on these bands before it was regraded?

Secondly there is often a time period when people are moved into a new role with greater responsibility however their salary does not immediately increase and / or it takes a while for the position to be regraded accordingly, for the individual to then receive the appropriate new salary. I am not sure legally there is much you can do in terms of getting this back payment you have requested, however it does not stop you raising a concern that this regrading exercise has taken 4 years and only seems to have occurred at your request and because you have provided the job description to support this.

The only thing I can think of that may be something that would help, is if you are in a unionised workplace are their any agreements in place surrounding this type of regrading situation and arrangements for any back payment? If not unionised are there possibly any policies in place about job grades and regrading?

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi many thanks for your email and sorry for the duplicate post, i couldnt find how to delete it.

Yes there is salary banding to go with the regrading. From memory I was on the top of the salary banding and also in the discretionary points for when I started, so i think the top two discretionary points of this banding were also the bottom two points of the next banding if you see what i mean. I was then stuck at the top of this for three years I think before i went for the regrading. They then put me on point three of the new salary band as i had effectively been stuck on point 2 of this for the three years to reflect the fact the post had been regraded to the new band. so they couldnt put me on the starting point as that would have been less than what i was on. My job was always the same its just that i could describe it in more detail after i had been doing it and creating the new project. There is a union but im not part of it.

Comment

Thanks for explaining how the salary banding works which is what I suspected. As previously stated there is no legislation I am aware of to support any back-dating. I would maybe consider going back and accepting that they are not going to back-date the regrading to when you started but ask that they do consider some form of back-dating to reflect that you have been doing this role for a while, clearly not at the correct grading level.

Maybe see if that can result in a compromise.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X