• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Late probation meeting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late probation meeting

Hello
    I started my job on tje 20th June and was due to haveton end of probation meeting on the 19th Dec. This got bumped to 12th Jan (today).
    As nothing had been said I presumed I had passed probation.
    At the late probation meeting today they informed me they were going to terminate my contract siting performance issues.
    This came out of the blue and there had been no indication of performance concerns.
    I am wanting to make a case to be paid 3 months notice (as opposed to 1 month offered).
    Given the circumstances what are my chances of getting 3 months? The rationale is that that they didnt confirm probation had been passed within the 6 month period.
    Tags: None

When were you notified of the "extension" to your probationary to accommodate the meeting needing to be delayed?

Does your contract of employment allow for an extension to the probationary period?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi ULA,

Thank you for responding. The relevant clauses from my contract follow.

There was no notification of any extension - they simply bumped it 3 times and eventually had it yesterday.

5. Probationary period 5.1 Your initial employment with the Company will be on the basis of a probationary period of 6 months. During that period, the Company may, at any time, terminate your employment by serving the requisite notice (refer to clause 11). 5.2 Your performance and suitability for continued employment will be reviewed throughout your probationary period and the Company reserves the right in its absolute discretion to extend the probationary period beyond the initial 6 months. 5.3 Your probationary period will only come to an end when you have been informed that you have successfully passed your probation in writing.5.4 During your probationary period, the organisation's disciplinary procedure need not be applied to you and you are not eligible for the additional benefits outlined in the Employee Handbook and Reward & Benefits booklet

12. Notice 12.1 Except in circumstances justifying summary dismissal, the following notice to terminate your employment will apply: Length of Service Written notice to be supplied Until the probation period is passed Employee: 4 weeks Employer: 1 week After the probation period has been passed 3 months from either party

Comment

Thank you for posting up those clauses it is very helpful and a comprehensive clause in respect of the probationary period.

5.2 Gives the right to extend the probationary period and although you were not formally notified of an extension due to performance you have been made aware of attempts to hold the probationary meeting which, for whatever reason, have needed to be rescheduled.
        5.3 Confirms that your probationary period will only come to an end when you have been informed in writing of successful completion. This has not happened in your case.

My view is that you can try to argue 3 months but in my opinion the company is covered contractually to only pay you one month as you are still in your probationary period.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks ULA - if you need to wait for confirmation then feasibly an employer could delay issuing such letter - so it begs the question - what's the point of six months.

Comment

Firstly not all employers add in your 5.3 clause. If this clause was not in place and any confirmation of your probationary period was not forthcoming and there had been attempt to such a review meeting (even if postponed and rescheduled) the argument would be different.

However, in your case attempts were made to set the appropriate meeting, although delayed for various reasons and there is the 5.3 clause.

Comment

I'm not sure I accept that.
              My probation period ran from 13th June to 12th Dec. I was told nothing until the 12th Jan – on which date I was told my employment would end on the 13th Feb (1 months notice)

Clauses 5.2. and 5.3 seem to be in conflict as far as I can see. Is it 6 months or is it whenever they want? I accept they can extend as per 5.2 but surely they have to tell me before the end of the 6 months. As of the 13th Dec I had to have been either on extended probation or passed.

Comment

I agree with ULA. I disagree with your interpretation in the light of clause 5.3. The "bumping" can clearly be construed as extending the probation period.

Nevertheless, you may put your argument to the company.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

https://shepwedd.com/knowledge/exten...tionary-period

The case referenced "Przybylska v Modus Telecom Ltd, " reads very similarly to my situation. As does this one.

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._2017_Full.pdf

Comment

Possibly, but what about the "bump" and clause 5.3? You need to be able to deal with those arguments.
                    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I have to agree with atticus the reason those two cases you quoted were successful for the claimant was an absence of any relevant clause 5.3 as in your contract. It is for that very reason, when I draft employment contracts, they always contain an equivalent 5.3 clause, it avoids any claims.

Comment

Thanks for your comments
                        I cant seem to find the full employment contracts for these cases to establish if they did or did not have clauses akin to my 5.3.

In any case my query remains - what is the point of stipulating a probation period of 6 months when in practice 5.3 could mean HR can make an employee wait as long as they want and in effect ignore the 6 months.

Comment

A clause 5.3 means that the probationary period cannot inadvertently lapse without the the employer being able to extend the probationary period in the event that an employee has not meant the standard required.

Comment

The likelihood is surely that if in either of those cases there had been a clause 5.3 type provision, it would have been referenced in the judgements. It is reasonable to conclude that there was none.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X