• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

ACAS Early Settlement - Been asked for a figure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACAS Early Settlement - Been asked for a figure

Hello,

I lodged an ACAS case for constructive dismissal with discrimination (nationality) grounds and victimisation. I was employed less than 2 years but i feel I have a very strong case.
    My ex employer's representative has been in touch with ACAS to ask what financial compensation would be needed to settle the dispute which i assume is admittence of wrong doing.
    Should I ask them to state an offer first? Would they likely lowball a figure. I have been on various solictors websites with calculators and the amounts vary quite wildly with injury to feelings compensation alongside los of earnings etc

I have had no legal representation and have dealt with all emails to the employer and ACAS myself.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks
    Tags: None

They may simply want to calculate the cost/benefit of fighting.
    Ask yourself what is most important - getting a settlement or risking a settlement for a possibly higher figure.

By all means ask - there are no rules for a negotiation.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response. Do you have any idea over the costs involved in fighting. I have no idea where to pitch however reputation damage for them in our small town could be catastrophic for them.

Comment

Reputation damage may indeed be serious - will they want to include a confidentiality agreement, and would you be ok giving one?

We know nothing of the claim, or size of company involved. Have they instructed solicitors?

5k is perhaps a reasonable estimate of minimum cost to them of pursuing a defence.

Comment

Are you employed now? If not, is there anything in prospect?

I suggest you start with a figure around the top end of the range from your reseaches. They may try to knock you down.

As to confidentiality, I have on a few occasions said on behalf of clients that such a term would cost more.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks again for the replies, I am not employed right now and honestly the situation has shot my well being, mental state and confidence, I resigned 2 months ago as my position was untenable and I expressed that I considered myself constructively dismissed upon grounds of discrimination, unfounded allegations and being treated less favourably than other members of staff.

They have instructed a solicitor (who must have choked on the email chain of evidence) as their legal rep replied to ACAS asking for a figure I would be happy to settle with.

I was wondering if I should throw the ball back in their court to test the waters or go in high showing I am serious and that I would rather make them pay in time, money and reputational damage from the public write up of the situations in trying to defend regardless of any tribunal award.
            Last edited by asinca; 15th September 2022, 22:21:PM.

Comment

Just to add, after reading much more about this I believe my next move could be to present a discrimination questionnaire. In my emails to my ex-employer I pointed out the situations where I was both discriminated against and victimised however non of the points were addressed or considered. I believe formally stating these points again requesting answers would assist my case.
              Thoughts?

Comment

When you refer to "...present a discrimination questionnaire" are you referring to the Statutory Procedure, if so this was repealed on 6 April 2014. It has been replace by an informal process which ACAS set out some guidelines for, however I believe this process is to be used whilst still an employer in an effort to avoid an Employment Tribunal Claim.

You need to strike a balance if you are considering going back with a figure to open the negotiations. Or the tact you could take with ACAS is to say that yes you are open to negotiation of any reasonable offer that the respondent is prepared to make to you for which you will due consideration and then that puts the ball back in their court.

If you can come up with a settlement you are happy with then that will be far less stressful and lengthy than fighting it out in a Tribunal.
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X