• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Old Contract / New Contract & possible redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Contract / New Contract & possible redundancy

Hi folks, new guy here, obviously joined as looking for advice, but seems like a helpful, friendly forum. Anyway, here goes:

04 Jan 21 - I started FT employment at a new independent retail business (around 80-100 FT & PT employees) - Terms & Conditions of employment signed and returned - all good.
    02 Mar 22 - Without consultation or prior notice, we were emailed 'new' T&Cs of employment and asked to sign and return - I didn't and was never asked for it again.

The new T&Cs allowed provision for the company to impose lay offs and short working, it also allowed the company to give just one week notice of termination for those employed under 2 years (ie. everyone, given the age of the company) The original T&Cs stated one month notice. There was no explanation of the changes, or their implications and no reason given. Although I didn't sign the new T&Cs, I didn't state the I was working under protest (didn't want to rock the boat!).

08 Sep 22 - All staff invited to a meeting where restructuring was announced (also given in writing), with consultations to take place with a view to getting it all done by 01 Oct 22. Notice of possible changes to T&Cs / roles / hours and potential redundancies. - this has obviously led me to review my original T&Cs and those issued in March this year (and the manner in which they were issued). If I happen to be chosen for redundancy, where do I stand in terms of notice? Would I have any grounds to object given the unsigned contract and the way it was unilaterally issued without notice or explanation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Did the 2022 contract offer you any benefit such as improved pay, holidays, or any other benefits?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

From what you have said it appears that although the company did not undertake any consultation in regard to changing the terms and conditions, however you did not raise any issues with the contract back in March and you have continued working on those terms and conditions. Potentially your employer will deem that you have accepted the new terms.

In respect of a redundancy situation, given that you have less than 2 years service you would not be eligible for any statutory redundancy pay and any notice given would be in line with the March contract.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X