• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

😞 sacked looking for help as I don’t think what that did was legal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 😞 sacked looking for help as I don’t think what that did was legal

Hey all I’m new to this sight after being dismissed from my job today so need some advice from you guys xxxx
    Tags: None

Then please explain the position...
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi cocobean19

How long did you work for the company?

Can you provide a summary of exactly what happened?

Comment

Hey thanks for your reply!! So I’ve worked for the company for 7 months within 3 days I was a key holder and opening the store, I was promoted a week later and all has been fine they are very happy with my work as our the customers. 2 months ago we got a new assistant manager who I had to end up reporting to my manager who told his area manager for her unwanted advances and sexual comments.. since then I have been targeted and sadly today I found an email she had left open reporting me for giving free drinks which I do but so do all of us and this has been going on for 2 weeks but nobody has said anything just all being done behind my back yet still asking me to cover her shifts etc etc.

I brought it up with my manager today and asked if he wanted to talk about anything he said no do you I said yes and told him what I had seen and he replied with oh!!! An hour later I get a letter I have to read from his laptop that he can’t print of saying I have a disciplinary hearing at 11.45 the time was 11.30…. I said by law I have to have someone with me he said yes that was fine I very regular customer was in the store and she came with me…..to be then told he had got an email to say it had to be a work member or a member of the TU my friend told me and him that if that’s the case you can postpone it till I have the right member to accompany me I was told no it had to go ahead right now we debated this for a few minutes my friend left we went through the points I totally agreed to it all again saying we all do you do she does they even take food and packaged drinks we do have to pay.

No warning no written warning Instant dismal and asked to leave the building my manager was actually in tears as he didn’t agree but had to do what he was told. I have had no warnings at all since I have been with the company HELP!!!!
        Last edited by ULA; 7th September 2022, 19:04:PM. Reason: Paragraphs added for easier reading

Comment

You could add spaces and punctuation, full stops etc, it's difficult to read.

Is the branch part of a large company? Have you contacted the Union?

Comment

Sorry, I’m a bit stressed and upset right now!! Yes they are part of a very large company and how to I get in touch with the union? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by CocoBean19 View Post
              Sorry, I’m a bit stressed and upset right now!! Yes they are part of a very large company and how to I get in touch with the union? Thank you.
              Are you a member of a Union?
              The best thing to do now, is do something to take your mind of things (de-stress yourself), watch some TV, listen to music etc.

ULA can you please take look.

Comment

Less than two years' employment - no claim for unfair dismissal.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation and I can appreciate how upsetting this must be for you.

There are two issues here one is the disciplinary process or lack of it and secondly there is your length of service.

On the first issue the company should have either complied with their own disciplinary procedure and being a large organisation, I would expect them to have one. This as a minimum should should be in line with the ACAS guidance. This requires you to be given details of the meeting, in writing, what the allegations are and any evidence the company will rely on, the right to be accompanied, which is either a colleague or union rep and allow you adequate time to prepare for the meeting. So from what you have said, other than you seeing a letter on a laptop, nothing else has been complied with.

What should now happen is that the outcome confirming your dismissal should be sent to you in writing and you be given the right to appeal.

Having said all of the above, the issue is your length of service which is under two years. This means you can be "fairly" dismissed and unless you can proves discrimination or a small number of other criteria, there is little opportunity to take this further by making an Employment Tribunal claim for unfair dismissal against your employer.

I would suggest that you appeal the decision to dismiss based on your good work record to date and the inconsistency in the way you have been dismissed, whilst other employees doing the same thing have not faced the same consequence. You may manage to get a lesser level of disciplinary action.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                  If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

That was really helpful thank you.
                    I did receive an email later this afternoon stating my dismal and
                    that if I wish wished to dispute I had 5 days to do so to the area
                    manager.
                    I emailed back and thanked my boss and asked for the letter
                    regarding my meeting and the area managers email address to be
                    forwarded to my email.
                    I later text my ex boss to thank him for all he has taught me and
                    for the fun I've had working with him, he text me back and said he
                    will miss me followed by the area manager had told him to to reply
                    to my email and if I had anything to say to go straight to their
                    solicitor!!!
                    I did report the assistant manager for sexual harassment to my
                    boss who then reported it to the area manager, he came down
                    and interviewed us both so that should be on file.
                    Also a few times I went to my manager saying how uncomfortable
                    I was feeling, when we are on the same shifts as she never says
                    hello and I never know what mood I will be getting when she
                    comes even though she is fine with other team members, that was
                    never taken any further either. I was told I was being too sensitive.
                    This was very much I feel set up by her.
                    I don't want my job back but I still feel that something is not right
                    with the lines they followed, especially now I can't even appeal??
                    THanks for reading

Comment

Also sorry while I remember and I know it’s late but if they knew they were doing this why was I sent my rota for next week and why was I allowed to continue to open the store on my own till I was met with another staff member an hour and a half after my shifts start that’s all wrong as well??

Comment

I cannot comment on some of what you have said in terms of why the company sent you your shift rota for last week and allowing you to open up the store. All I can set out for you is the process for carrying out a disciplinary and the issue around your length of service.

The only other question I have is whether (and I appreciate this may be difficult to find out now) assuming this large organisation has a disciplinary procedure it stated whether this was to be followed for all staff regardless of length of service? I am not hopefully even if you have a copy it would say this but some companies do provide for a shortened version of the disciplinary process for staff either on probationary period or under 2 years service.
                        Even if they do have something in place all this would do would add to the grounds of the appeal you can make for your dismissal.

From what you have said you have been given the right to appeal, so you need to decide whether you want to go ahead and do that. I guess it depends on if they offer a lesser disciplinary action and your job back would this be what you want? If not then it will be a case of drawing a line under this experience and start the process of finding a new job
                        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X