• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Delay Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay Tactics

Looking for advice on what you would do under these circumstances. Witness statements were supposed to be exchanged at the end of May. The respondents solicitor asked for a five-month extension until the end of September because one of the respondents was too unwell to attend work. I am aware that the respondent was back in work within two weeks of them making the request to extend, however, i let it go as the hearing isn't until May next year.

Last week I sent them a reminder email telling them that the extended deadline is four weeks away and for them to advise me of a time and date they will be ready to exchange. Yesterday i got an email from their solicitors' admin lady asking for another month's extension because the solicitors' daughter is really unwell and she is staying with her in hospital. I of course agreed to this and wished her all the best etc. It has been brought to my attention that it is a lie and the solicitor is actually on holiday and is back at work on Monday.

Should i write to the tribunal asking for an unless order and make them aware of the lie ? I have been shocked at the conduct of this solicitor all the way through this case, its been unethical at best. What would you do ?

Tags: None

You have agreed something. If a further extension is requested tell them enough is enough and they need to apply to the Tribunal if they need yet more time.

Are you ready with your statement(s)?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes we have been ready since March.

Comment

Atticus, I agreed to the extension because of what she told me. How could I possibly refuse ?

Comment

My earlier answer did not query that. It was written on the basis that you are where you are now, and made a suggestion for the future, should you need it.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Why would they keep delaying ? I know it's a complete mess for them and there is nothing they can put in their statements because the evidence I have put in the bundle completely contradicts everything on the ET3.

Comment

Then do not agree any further extensions. See post # 2

Comment

Good answer. Completely shocked at the extent these people have gone to avoid facing up to this !! Thanks, Atticus.

Comment

Oh, and make a note of the reasons given when extensions have been requested, and what you subsequently found out about those reasons.

Comment

It's all noted Atticus. Is there nothing I need to be wary of ? You see, if this was me and I was in the mess they have got themselves in, I would just want it off my back and get it settled. We have had offers but they, in my opinion, are nowhere near to what the case is worth, more so now for them, to get themselves out of it. I don't understand the point of delaying the inevitable. Is there one?

Comment

Atticus, still no witness statements from the respondents on this case. I reminded them last Monday and about an hour later got another offer of settlement that we refused. I am now being ignored. I am thinking of applying for an unless order if I have not heard anything by Monday. Is this what you would do under the circumstances ? Statements are now six months late after two extensions being granted.

Comment

To be honest WS exchange a year before the hearing date is quite a way in advance and I am not unsurprised that the respondent's solicitor asked for an extension of time. However, if they are continuing to ask for extensions or not even communicating with you about exchange after previous deadline i.e. early Oct (I think I have worked out the last deadline to be) has been missed then you can make an application to the ET for an Unless Order. You will need to detail the notes that atticusset out in post #9. Also, just on a point of protocol you will need to copy in the respondent and ensure that you make the Tribunal aware you have done this. The following phrase to insert is useful:

In accordance with rules 30(2) and 92 of the Employment Tribunals Rules of Procedure 2013, I have sent a copy of this application to the Respondent and hereby notify him that any objections to the application should be sent to the Tribunal, with a copy sent to the me, as soon as possible.
                        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks ULA. I will give them a couple of days after the deadline then I will do just that. Thanks.

Comment

ULA. What would happen if their defence is eventually struck out for not producing witness statements. Is this what the respondents could be looking for. Would the ET3 still be referred to at the main hearing ?

We have proved everything they have said to be lies with our evidence in the bundle. Would it still go to a hearing or would the Tribunal just come to a decision on the evidence they have ?

Comment

A decision to “strike out” by the ET is taken as a very last resort as there have been a number of recent cases where such action and the consequential outcome has resulted in the Respondent successfully appealing the final decision at the Employment Appeal Tribunal.

In answer to your question what actually happens if a claim is struck out depends on a number of factors and as I do not have all the information on your claim and case progression it would be difficult to determine how the Tribunal would proceed. Factors that would be taken into account by the Tribunal would be what type of claim you have, what information has already been provided by the Respondent (from what you have said it appears only the ET3 and possibly a Ground of Resistance GoR document) and whether a fair trial is still possible?

From what you have set out at the current time my view is that the Tribunal would not of their own volition strike out the Respondent's defence and it would be unlikely that any strike out application from you would be successful, they have not done enough wrong yet to warrant the Tribunal striking out.

I would suggest taking this a stage at a time and pursue getting the respondent to the position of exchanging witness statements and if this cannot be achieved, by them sticking to an agreed deadline for exchange, then you will need to make that Unless Order application.
                              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X