• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment tribunal claim for victimisation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment tribunal claim for victimisation

I've submitted a claim against me ex employer for victimisation. The brief circumstances are that in 2006 I made protected act (disability discrimination) against my then employer, which I won in the ET. In 2020 I asked them for a reference for a job. They refused. I didn't get the job. I suspected the refusal for the reference was because of the protected act made in 2006. Through disclosure, I have seen a email document which says that person A in the company requested my full paper personnel file from person B in HR. A further email document sent by person A to person B over three weeks cancelling my file.

I suspect that person A did in fact obtain the file from person B and that they saw documents about the protected act made 14 years prior. The Respondent is not calling person A or B to give evidence in the final hearing. Can I ask the ET to draw an inference about the Respondent failure in not calling A and B.

Thanks for any advice.
    Tags: None

I doubt they will draw such an inference without you at least first showing clear reasons why your employer should be expected to call A and B. They will listen to the evidence presented, and add it up.
    In discrimination associated claims there is sometimes a shifting of the burden of proof from the claimant to the defendant, but these are limited, and should not be confused with drawing of adverse inferences.

Comment

My questions to A & B, which I can't put to them are why did A request the file. Why did A decide they no longer required the file. What did B do in the intervening period of over 3 weeks between being asked for the file and B cancelling the file. ??

Comment

One more thing. Is it ok to include facts established through disclosure of documents that I got after the claim was submitted and that I wasn't a witness to in my statement for the final hearing?

Comment

Have you asked the Tribunal or the other side to make sure they attend?

Comment

I asked the Respondent if A & B would attend. They Both said No. Did an application for a witness order. ET Judge said no.

Comment

Yes you can refer to documents as part of your witness statement that have been part of disclosure. Just remember these references need to be part of the correct chronology of events and you should cross reference the page in the bundle where these documents are.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

If the ET judge said he would not order their attendance, it seems difficult to see how the ET can draw any inference from their non-attendance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X