• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Constructive Dismissal (during probation period)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructive Dismissal (during probation period)

Good Day

I work for a legal company in the Midlands on a 12 month FTC. 2 months into my contract I lodged an (informal) complaint against a work colleague after being verbally abused. Since the complaint was made to a senior manager, it was logged as a formal complaint even though I had not been consulted on what should happen with the complaint.
    The manager I complained about went on to make false accusations about my conduct and work, and I was placed on an interim probation for 4 weeks and set some of the most ridiculous objectives to complete.

I have completed the objectives, but was told that the outcome of my probation would still depend on if the manager I complained about was or was not happy with my work. If she and/ or any other manager from the team still remained 'unhappy' with my work I would be put up in front of HR pending a possible termination of my contract.

As expected, an email was issued to me requesting I attend a meeting with HR next week which could possible lead to termination of my contract. The meeting has been scheduled on the last day of my 3 month probation period.

I have noticed that the manager I complained about has already started removing me from key meetings, the meetings are still going ahead, but I have received notifications that they have been cancelled. I have been taken of these meetings, I believe, because a decision has already been agreed behind the scenes to terminate my contract.

Are the company allowed to do this?
    I could understand if I had done something wrong, but I met the objectives that were set out, and the only reason those objectives were set was based on lies regarding my conduct and work, which I have debunked.

As you have not completed 2 years service, you would not have the right to claim unfair dismissal. In that first 2 years, employees have little job security.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I don't even see the point of attending the HR meeting. It's been a very toxic environment to work in, and the fact that I can complain about a Manager yet I am given objectives off the back of my own complaint and made to feel as though I am the problem makes me feel that this is NOT the type of environment I want to work in. A business that promotes bullying and abuse its not a company I want to associate with.

So I think I should just quit. Thoughts??

Comment

The company behaviour does not appear to be professional from what you have set out, however as posted by atticus with less than 2 years' service you would not have the right to claim constructive unfair dismissal.

As to whether to resign or attend the meeting and see what the outcome is that decision will need to be up to you. The only thing to point out is that if you resign then this is what you take forward to your next employer as your reason for leaving rather than being dismissed. However, you need to seriously believe that this will be the outcome of the meeting as they may continue to employ you. Better to then look for another job whilst still working.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
          The company behaviour does not appear to be professional from what you have set out, however as posted by atticus with less than 2 years' service you would not have the right to claim constructive unfair dismissal.

As to whether to resign or attend the meeting and see what the outcome is that decision will need to be up to you. The only thing to point out is that if you resign then this is what you take forward to your next employer as your reason for leaving rather than being dismissed. However, you need to seriously believe that this will be the outcome of the meeting as they may continue to employ you. Better to then look for another job whilst still working.
          Thank you for your response. I have looked into this further and I have it on record that my Programme and Project Team Manager has effectively demoted me mid contract.
          I was interviewed and employed as a Project Manager, my contract states Project Manager, but the Programme and Project Team Manager stated on a recorded call that....'we didn't employ you as a Project Manager we employed you as a Junior Project Manager.

I have been informed that this is enough justification for a claim for constructive dismissal.
          Would I should I mention this in my HR meeting tomorrow?

Comment

Demotion is a potential for a constructive dismissal claim but you have to have 2 years of service. From your post #1 it appears you are on a 12 month FTC so do not have the qualifying length of service.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X