• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Prison vetting failed due to previous dismissal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison vetting failed due to previous dismissal

I took a 9 week course to be a prison officer, I finished the course successfully and 2 weeks after I was told I could no longer work there because my vetting had failed. I requested to know the full reason and in an email they stated it was due to a "recent" dismissal. This dismissal took place 1 year prior to my vetting being failed. No one had ever told me this was even possible, had I know this I would have never applied. I have searched everywhere for information stating that this is how things work but I have found nothing. Due to me unexpectedly losing my job, I was left unemployed for 2 months. I am currently appealing this decision but I haven't heard anything since February. I was thinking of taking legal action against SSCL but i don't know if I can.

My questions are can I have my vetting failed over a prior dismissal? If so is there a document stating this since I know for a fact there are people who have criminal records that work in prisons.
    side note, they specifically said it was because it was recent and not the reason for being dismissed. I have no criminal record and have only ever been fired once.
    Tags: None

Hi LUISSUPER02

Normally there is an information pack that accompany's the application form explaining who is excluded from applying, did you get one of those?

In most job ad's they tell you who shouldn't apply e.g. if you've applied before etc, so there must of been something, especially with a Government body / service.

ULA might have a perspective on this issue.

Comment

I know that vetting for any government job is very stringent.

Vetting is normal about a 12 week process and normal starts after you have
      • passed a recruitment assessment date and provided your correct identity documents
      • been given a provisional offer of employment (as opposed to being held on a merit list for a prison role)
      • accepted your provisional offer of employment
      • submitted your online pre-employment onboarding forms
      I am a bit unclear as to where you are in the process if you have completed a 9 week course and how this fits in with the normal process which is a provisional offer until such times as vetting is completed.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I haven't applied before, the job I was fire from was being a hotel night staff receptionist. And I was never given such a paper telling what would fail me. In fact all of my instructors said it wouldn't affect my vetting

Comment

It is unfortunate, but I doubt there is anything you can do about it

Comment

I am presuming that the training you are referring to is the Prison Office Entry Level Training. From what I understand if this was the course, then you should have successfully completed the vetting process and the other pre-employment checks before attending the course.

I am not sure what has gone wrong in the recruitment process for you which is very stage driven i.e. you cannot move onto the next stage until you have met all the requirments of the current stage.

Not sure how SSCL, although I know they are a shared service unit used by goverment department and they process the vetting application.

Not sure how much more help I can be.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi mate. it looks like I am in a very similar situation to yourself. I was wondering if it got resolved, and how? If SSCL did get back to you, how long did they take? Any response would be much appreciated, keep well! And ofc, replies from anyone other than OP with info would also be appreciated!

Comment

Hi, I am also in a similar situation. However, yet to receive any response in regards to the reason(s) my vetting returned as unsatisfactory. I’m sorry this happened to you, especially, having completed your training! Did you have any joy in the end? Did you appeal the decision? Thanks!

Comment

Hi guys I also failed my SSCL vetting on the last day of completing the training course. I appealed this and continued to chase SSCL as it stated I posed a risk to HMPPS.

they got back to me and stated that I failed the pnc check as I have a criminal record and if I’d like to appeal the decision email them back. Bear in mind I was dismissed the 17th September and they got back to me 5 days ago.

luckily my DBS came the day before which states my whole record is clean as a whistle therefore I have appealed this and sent proof of enhanced DBS as this must be false information or they have mistaken me with somebody else.

soon as I have an update I will let you guys know but good luck and don’t let this affect you! Positive thoughts!

Comment

Hi all
                    I’ve had my vetting back saying unsuccessful.
                    reason - RISK TO HMPPS
                    Ive got my DBS which is clear
                    Ive previously had enhanced level 1 vetting which allowed me into prisons and police stations and courts
                    I had a dismissal nearly 5yrs ago from previous employment
                    does anyone know how long it takes a) for the appeals team to reply to your first email requesting the reasons and the appeal process
                    b) how long it takes to get a reply once you appeal ?

thanks

Comment

Hi what were the outcomes of your appeals?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X