• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary due to ADHD behaviour confirmed by Occupational Health report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplinary due to ADHD behaviour confirmed by Occupational Health report

I work for a large local authority and have been on suspension since summer 2020 following allegations of inappropriate behaviour and conduct in the workplace.

In brief, the behaviour was during the first lockdown (April 2020 to suspension in June) and involved messing around (playing with a football), making comments that upset some staff and going off site when I should have been in work. I dispute a number of the allegations and think some may have been exaggerated, but haven't yet fully seen the statements made against me.

I suffer from ADHD and it can cause unpredictable, impulsive and in some cases behaviour that others may find offensive. I was diagnosed as a child and have informally made line managers aware through my time at the authority. I have been employed for around 15 years and although ADHD has caused me a few minor issues I've never had such a serious episode before and have never been in any disciplinary process previously.

The allegations were first put to me around 14 months after my suspension in an investigation meeting and at this point I made sure that the investigation officer was aware of my ADHD. My Trade Union representative pushed for a OH assessment which was agreed to. This took place in January this year and in the subsequent report the OH Doctor confirmed that the behaviour is consistent with ADHD and that in his opinion the Equality Act would apply. He also suggested some reasonable adjustments that would allow me to return to the workplace, which included me seeking medical intervention which I have agreed to do.

The authority has however decided to proceed with a disciplinary hearing in spite of the OH report findings and have not accepted my request to meet to discuss the report as is normal practice.

I accept that OH Reports are only advice and the authority has no obligation to accept their findings, however I have the following questions;

Should I raise a grievance with the authority about the decision to proceed with a disciplinary hearing in light of the OH report? Would there be any benefit to ensuring that I can show in writing that my concerns have been raised with the appropriate people?

Is there a case for disability discrimination, or even unfair dismissal if that is in fact the conclusion of the hearing?

Are there any other steps I should take to raise concerns about this?
    Tags: None

In the letter inviting you to the disciplinary meeting, have they said what level of disciplinary action may taken?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I have not yet received a letter inviting me to the disciplinary hearing, it has been pushed back to April and I don't expect to receive the letter until 7 days before, which is standard practice. However my Trade Union representative has informed me that it is likely that the Council will push for dismissal. The invite to the investigation meeting in August also stated that the allegations made amounted to gross misconduct, so dismissal would be the most likely outcome.

Comment

in your post you say "....and have not accepted my request to meet to discuss the report as is normal practice."

Is this requirement for a meeting to discuss an OH report written into any policy or procedure regarding the processing of an OH assessment report?

if not why to do you say it is normal practice.

I aks these questions to try and establish whether there has been a deviation from their own written processes.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I'm not aware of the specific procedures within the HR department where I'd assume Occupational Health procedures would be, so can't say if this is written into policy.

However I've worked as a low level manager/supervisor for a number of years and I've never known a case when the employee isn't met with both before the meeting to discuss the referral and after the meeting to discuss the contents of the report. This way any recommended actions can be discussed and reasonable adjustments put in place if necessary.

In my case there is no intention of having the follow up meeting, despite the OH report making suggestions of reasonable adjustments that would benefit me in the disciplinary hearing and also in the workplace if I ever return to work.

Comment

Have you formally written to your employer requesting a follow-up meeting to discuss the outcome of the OH report? If you have not then I think that may be a good starting point.

Putting things in writing at least create a trail of correspondence that can be referred to later if needed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X